• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Got questions about the Factory Records Services? Ask here!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

A gunsmith to consider if you don't get a recommendation on a "Finnwolf expert", would be Powers Metal Works in Duson, LA. I provided a link below. John Powers is a Master gunsmith and master machinist who does all types of gunsmithing from simple repairs to complete restorations. He used to be close to my area and was my gunsmith for several years before moving back to Louisiana to be closer to family. I watched over time as he re-barreled a Sako rifle and also as he restored several Winchester lever action rifles. If he cannot find a part he will make it in his shop as he has done that for me several times. I'm a retired Engineer and I'm amazed at this knowledge of heat treating of steel. Besides being a trained machinist he has had some obvious extra training on metallurgy. He also makes some custom rifles and handguns. He is honest, humble and fairly quiet when you talk to him but he will flat out tell you if something cannot be repaired rather than giving you BS.

I have some non-Sako firearms which need to be restored. Those will be shipped to him as he is the only one that I would trust on restorations or even a major repair.

Powers Metal Works LLC - Gunsmithing, Gun Restorations

Hi guys…I sent in a request back on 5/18…I received a response the same day but it was for the wrong model. I reply back and was notified that it was their mistake and they would send the correct information. It’s been weeks and nothing…and no response to my 2 follow up emails. Does anyone know if maybe the person who does this is sick or on vacation? Or does it take a while normally?

Thanks

The response to factory records requests is all done by volunteers. Sometimes there is a delay or wires get crossed, but not often. I'll check on this for you and see if we can get you your information.

It's kinda like an experience I had a few weeks back with a guy I was expecting a contract from. I hadn't heard from him in a couple of weeks and feared that he had skipped on the deal. Then I found that he had had emergency back surgery and his absence was legitimate. I'm glad I had enough patience not to pull the plug on the deal, which would have done us both damage.

Reactions: FLT
All!

This is the forum for asking anything you would like to know about the new Factory Records Services.

Please read the Q´s & A´s above before you do just to avoid asking the same questions too many times.
We will answer all questions as soon as we can and will compile the questions asked here and post them in the Q´s & A´s on a regular basis.

Jim aka L61R
I was wondering how would I figure out the year of mfg for a Sako coltsman deluxe in 264 win mag?

The Coltsman Deluxe models were made at the Sako factory. Just submit a request for a records search & you should find out when it was made & shipped to Colt. The standard models were made at the Colt factory, but one can find out when the action was shipped by Sako to Colt.

Paulson is correct. If it is a Deluxe (which was made entirely by Sako) then it will show up in both the inspection and the shipping records just like a Sako.

If it is a standard grade, those were made on Sako actions and most of them put together by a contractor (believed to be a company called the "Jefferson Rifle Company" which appears to have operated out of the High Standard facility located near Colt's in Hartford, CT). In that case we would have only the date that the action was inspected by Sako and not the actual date of manufacture once the action was shipped to the U.S.

All!

This is the forum for asking anything you would like to know about the new Factory Records Services.

Please read the Q´s & A´s above before you do just to avoid asking the same questions too many times.
We will answer all questions as soon as we can and will compile the questions asked here and post them in the Q´s & A´s on a regular basis.

Jim aka L61R
I sent my $10 in last weekend for a Serial number dating. How long does it usually take to get an answer to email or other. Thanks
Today is the 11th...

I sent my $10 in last weekend for a Serial number dating. How long does it usually take to get an answer to email or other. Thanks
Today is the 11th...
Be patient! The process is tedious because of how Sako kept records & it is all done by volunteers not full time researchers.

You should have received an email response on May 8. Check your spam folder.
Thank you,
It was in my spam folder with about a hundred other fraud emails. Thanks for the reply, and I have a 1959 L41 Sako in the harem. It's 63 years old.
I wonder if I can get Social Security for it. Seems they pay to just about anyone and anything these days...lol

I tried to log in to the Sako Collectors Club to get Factory records for my Sako's but it wouldn't accept my login using my info from this Forum. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

How long does it normally take to get a reply when you do a record search?
The record searches are done by volunteers, so the time interval can vary from the same day to sometimes weeks. In hunting season it tends to be longer, for obvious reasons. Also, if you are seeking the records (Level 2 or 3) for a very common model and caliber, the search can take the volunteer hours to go through the thousands of serial numbers for that model and caliber in the shipping records because those records are not in serial number but in calendar order and the time from inspection to shipping is sometimes as much as two years.

Curious about a slight contradiction.
The purchase page lists that you do not access to records before 1949, but then list the P46, M39, and M28-30 as available to research.
Also, I assume the P72 and M78 are not available for research, and ONLY the rifles listed on the page?

To clarify: The records we have are (1) inspection records, meaning the "born on date", (2) shipping records which show when and to whom a rifle was shipped, and (3) armory records for the M28 and M39 beginning in 1934.

The inspection records for the P46 start in 1948 (a handful were actually inspected in 1947). Those for centerfires start when the model was first produced. The last inspection records we have end in mid-1972 which is why we have no inspection records for the P72 and M78, or any of the A-series.

The shipping records start in 1948 and extend into 1976. However, not having inspection records from 1972-1978, it is extremely difficult to find a particular rifle made after 1971 since the shipping records are by date and not in serial number order, so a researcher would have to scan through tens of thousands of serial numbers -- all handwritten and often difficult to interpret -- in order to find such a shipping record. That is why we only offer to research serial numbers within the range for which we have inspection records, since the inspection record establishes a date from which we only have to look forward and greatly narrows the volume of serial numbers to be scanned.

I hope that this helps clarify what records we have and why some rifles cannot be readily located.

Just out of curiosity, do you offer discounts for multiple searches ordered at the same time?
I have at least 5 (two P46's, and three P54's) I would like done, and possibly add a Sako M39.
I would be interested in the date of manufacture plus

Back