Gorgeous L579 Browning Safari FS on GB by CDNN

Discussion in 'Other firearms built on Sako actions' started by icebear, Feb 6, 2021.

1. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    CDNN is selling a very nice .243 Browning Safari on an L579 action through a Gunbroker auction. It appears to be in like-new condition, has well-patterned wood, and the current bid is around $1550. Thought I'd post it in case anybody is interested. CDNN is a reliable outfit; I've done lots of business with them and never been disappointed. Their auctions frequently go for a premium as they advertise them to their own e-mail list in addition to the usual Gunbroker audience. I'll be interested to see what the final price is on this one. I will not be a bidder.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/8903...ID NOW!&utm_campaign=CDNN Auctions Ending 2-7

2. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    I can never understand why this higgledy-piggledy stamping happens, likely the last process in the manufacturing....

E8024AB7-5046-433C-B74F-7BEC062610B1.jpeg

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Belgian proof mark, I believe.

4. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    I’m referring to the serial number.

5. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    This rifle may go for a very fair price because being produced in 1974 it is at the end of the salt wood problem and most old school Browning collectors avoid the rifles made after 1965 due to the chance of salt wood. It is a little unusual because it has the crossbolt at the trigger guard. Most of the sako action 243's did not have a crossbolt. Toward the end of production they began putting a crossbolt thru the stock. It was usually located at the front receiver ring, and a few such as this rifle have the crossbolt at the trigger.

6. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
  7. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Beautiful rifle. I must have missed it, or been out of town, or been short of cash, because I'd have been all over that one.

8. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    The Browning/Sako .243 sold for $1850. I personally think that was high; others may disagree. Some other items of note from the same CDNN/Gunbroker auction:
    Colt 1911 "Royal Government" .4ACP, special edition for TALO (a distributor), with Cobalt Blue finish and various embellishments: $3725
    Colt 1911, similar but in .38 Super and slightly less embellished: $3225
    Heckler & Koch MR762AI, an AR-platform rifle in .308 with a piston action and some add-ons: $5299
    Bushmaster AR-15 complete lower, completely ordinary but "collectible" because Busmaster logo was double struck: $405
    New production Colt Python, stainless with scroll engraving: $4525

Amazing what people will pay for some things.