• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnwolf VL63 Good day fellow Sako enthusiasts

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I have purchased a very nice 1972 sako finnwolf and I'm wishing to put a period scope on its back What was offered at that time and in what rings I really wish to keep it as authentic as possible
No real pictures online of the period as was before www obviously
many thanks with your suggestions Tim
the picture shows a vx1 3-9 that the seller had

Attachments

• 1-104197-2017-06-15_06-17-44-PM.JPG
    1-104197-2017-06-15_06-17-44-PM.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7925.JPG
    IMG_7925.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7926.JPG
    IMG_7926.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7927.JPG
    IMG_7927.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
That's some beautiful fiddleback (or tiger striping) all the way through the wood. You should be pleased with it.

The Leupold VX-I is virtually identical to its predecessor, the Vari-X II. That is a contemporaneous scope since they go all the way back to the early 1960's and continued into the 1990's. You could look for a pristine Vari-X II (not hard to find in the U.S., but probably much scarcer in Australia), but since there is no real difference in the two I think I would leave the VX-I where it is.

The Finnwolf I owned back in the 1970s had a Redfield "Widefield" fixed 4x with a post and crosshair reticle. That was a really fine scope, and I have kicked myself for "decades" after selling that along with my original Finnwolf ! Even since acquiring another Finnwolf, and restoring it, I've been looking for another Redfield to put on it. I found a decent 2x-7x Redfield "Traditional" on Gunbroker. I took it for granted that it would have the "4-plex reticle" (Redfield's version of the "Dual-X" reticle). To my surprise, when it came in I found it had a "post and crosshair" , just like my long lost 4x Widefeld :) !!! It now sits on my Finnwolf 243. It works and "looks" great", but best of all, it is truly "period correct" ! So, if I were you I'd look high and low for a 1970's scope of some sort. Short of that, Stonecreek's suggestion is spot on ! The standard Leupolds are about the same as they've always been. I would opt for a "gloss finish" though :) ...

Hi again all I acquired a mint condition gloss VX1 3-9x40 and a new set of low windage adjustable optilock rings from same period as the rifle All fitted and well suited

4b9bf234202862b836c2aaead40717f9.jpg

My Finnwolf with Weaver K1.5, has post and crosshair. Go-to gun come the apocalypse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent choice of scopes for a fast handling lever gun. Sits on that Wolf like it came with it from the factory. Encouraging to see someone else doesn't see high magnification variables with huge objectives as appropriate or useful on the Finnwolf.

Back