Gloss blued scope rings and slip

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks for gunsmithing your own Sako' started by NoplacelikeSOIL, Jan 27, 2021.

1. NoplacelikeSOIL

NoplacelikeSOIL Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    My Sako AV I just bought came with gloss blued optilok rings.

I'm wondering if anyone has ideas for a rust protectant that is not lubricating. I want to degrease my screws and mating surfaces of my scope mounting system, but I don't want the blued steel to rust.

I've only dealt with shotguns and stainless rifles before... Not blued rifles. So I am very worried about rust when not coated in grease or oil.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    You are over thinking it, again. Blue is a rust deterrent. That's why we blue bare steel in the first place. Just wipe the rings clean & mount your scope. I've had scopes on rifles for over 30 years & when I took the scope off, there was no rust. Wiping the outside with a lightly oiled rag, like you would for the rest of the rifle, is all you need to do to the scope rings as well.

sraaw and kevinlg like this.
  3. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    FWIW......I've used Rusteprufe("dogpile" search it) for over 30 years with great results.

I wipe down all blued surfaces, on all firearms, after handling(people have sweaty hands), use, or for storage.

When assembling parts I apply a very thin amount between mated surfaces.....i.e. rings, mounts, bottom metal. No slippage yet!

Also, I do not assemble "dry" screws.........usually about one drop of FP-10 firearms lubricant to all machine screws.

Hope this helps.

4. NoplacelikeSOIL

NoplacelikeSOIL Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    Thanks for the tips! With my other rifles, I've always gone the route of decreasing my action screws and ring bases and ring screws and ring surfaces where the scope sits because I don't want there to be any chance of losing zero due to scope mounting movement, and those recommended torque values are always for dry surfaces. That's why I was wondering if people do actually leave a very thin film of oil on those parts with a blued steel gun. I know the Lost blue surface is resistive to rust, butI figured it would still eventually rust over along. Of time if I don't add an extra layer of protection.

Maybe I'll do it my way for 20 rounds just to see if that old redfield will actually hold a zero in the first place! If the scope is good, I'll give it a real light coat of oil and try not to worry about it.

Thanks!