G'day and sako 85 bavarian question

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by GSPhunter, Jul 31, 2018.

1. GSPhunter

GSPhunter Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    G'day all,

I'm from Victoria and a passionate big game hunter. I also love my sakos though you probably wouldn't know looking in my safe at the moment. I had a sako 75 ss synthetic in 7mm RM and a Sako 85 Bavarian in 300WM. Both of which i sold, the bav still haunts me! I used the money to buy some leica binos and an A7 in 30-06. I will buy one more gun to fill the safe and it must be a 9.3x62 in sako. I dearly love my brothers black bear but I want another nice wooden rifle.

Unfortunately i broke my phone recently so don't have many pics of my sakos or game photos with them. There's one of my brothers black bear with a fallow and one of my old bavarian with a red.

I'm currently building a new rifle, i tried to get a sako but they dont make a 7x57 and i couldn't afford to pay for one then rebarrel it so im using a cz 550 as a donor rifle.

My question is, I'm planning on having it as an open sights rifle and the gunsmith has got hold of open sights from a sako 85 bavarian. Wondering what people think of them for shooting game and targets to say 250m? I know the irony of asking this considering i once owned one but i only ever shot that scoped.

Appreciate any experience and advice.

P.s. great forum here Can't believe i hadn't heard of ut before!

Attached Files:

2. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    G’day GSPhunter and welcome.
    A couple of magnificent looking animals there, great trophies in anyone’s book.
    While I don’t own any of the 85 series rifles, I’ve handled a couple in the ‘Bear’ series and was most impressed by the immediate sight acquisition when shouldering both rifles.
    Probably a lot to do with the stock shape too though. If your gunsmith can make it work, I’d say go for it.

Keep us posted, we like pics.

3. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Welcome. Great pics. Keep them coming after you get your phone fixed.

rick