• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Fullstock accuracy

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

waterwolf

I have often heard (generally from people that don't and won't own them) that fullstock "Mannlicher-style" hunting rifles are not as accurate as half-stock rifles.
I recently obtained an excellent condition Sako L579 Forester fullstock in .243 (made in 1966). I mounted an old Swarovski 4X using low original Sako rings so that the scope just barely cleared the bolt handle. Yesterday was its first outing at the range. Using the cheapest hunting ammunition I could find (Federal 100 gr. softpoints), it consistently shot 5/8 inch groups @ 100 yards.
The same afternoon my new Sako 85 Bavar fullstock carbine in 6.5x55 with an old Swarovski 1.5-4.5 shot discount brand factory ammo (Fiocchi 140 gr SST) into 3/4 inch groups @ 100 yards.
There is also a myth that relatively cheap discount brand hunting ammo is necessarily inaccurate.

Last edited:
Fullstock accuracy

I'll take a picture of it with the scope. Its the lowest mount I have ever achieved on a rifle and the view through the scope is immediate when you shoulder the rifle.

I have a L579 Mann in 243 Win that shoots very well, also. It is ,however, more picky about the loads it prefers. Mine is about 3 years earlier and has the white spacers in the buttplate & grip cap. Does anyone know the year the white spacers were dropped & can this feature be used to help date a rifle?

Well, you won't see any benchrest rifles with full stocks, but when properly put together the Mannlichers will shoot right along with most other hunting rifles. I own Sako full stocks in .222, .243, and .308 and they shoot, on average, with very close to the same accuracy as their counterparts I own in Sako sporters.

They all have short barrels and don't deliver the velocity that their longer-barreled sporter counterparts do, so I don't consider them as "long range" guns. But the Mannlicher carbine design is intended as a handy, shorter range rifle to begin with, which is the type situation I use them in.

I've had little experience with Sako Mannlichers with a full length barrel (although my favorite dealer, Rodger at www.SakoSource.com, has an L579 23" .243 in stock which is sorely tempting!) My guess is that the shorter barrel tends to be less impacted by the presence of the wood than would be a longer barrel. Maybe someone who owns one of the rifle-length full stocks could comment on this?

I have a L579 Mann in 243 Win that shoots very well, also. It is ,however, more picky about the loads it prefers. Mine is about 3 years earlier and has the white spacers in the buttplate & grip cap. Does anyone know the year the white spacers were dropped & can this feature be used to help date a rifle?
Paulson- I think the whitelines started being left off the later A series rifles and the deluxe stocks started a bit before that. There was a time back in the early 70s that the spacers were considered tacky by many gunbuffs and taken off their rifles. Some look good without them but I don't get too excited if that's what they like. Today we don't see many unless it is a collector.-Misako

Back