From Grendel to Sako?

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Dave Buffington, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Dave Buffington

Dave Buffington Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Hi Folks!

I've finally given up on my effort to fix the feeding problems on my Grendel SRT, a "black gun" based on the AII action.

(For background, see https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/grendel-sako-str-questions.14712/)

But I haven't given up on the action, which is extremely accurate. So I've decided to convert it to what it once was ... a Sako.

Presumably, all (ha!) I need is a AII/L579/Forester stock, bottom metal and magazine.

Although genuine Sako stuff would be wonderful, I'm not adverse to third party parts. (For example, I was thinking about a McMillan stock, but then what bottom metal do you use?)

Any suggestions and/or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Dave

2. Tomball

Tomball Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    eBay has the stock and other possible parts you are looking for. Most up for bidding. Good luck

3. Dave Buffington

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I don't see any at the moment, but I'll keep looking. Thanks!
    Dave

4. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Good Luck,
    THere was a guy on here that had bottom metal. I have a SAKO 579 H&R barreled action, tried to go the samme route.
    Bought a close out (reject) McMillan (Place went out of business) Ended up making a single shot 308, Super accurate, not quite as light as I'd hoped, but still a great light carry it all day rifle that only needs one shot.

5. Dave Buffington

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Indeed. Thanks!
    Dave