• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Frankenstein Sako AV

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

adaminak

I finally managed to get my hands on a custom-build Sako, and I got it for a song and a dance. It's an AV action in 375 H&H with a 21" bbl, front sight, no rear sight, sitting in a Bell & Carlson integral-sling stock. The bottom of the floorplate is engraved "Alaskan Guide Series #1 of 25". I love the rifle. It fits great, carries easily all day long, and is just the thing for busting through thick brush when bears or moose are in-season. The problem I have is that it truly is a Frankenstein gun. I took it to the range just before hunting season for zero and couldn't get anything better than 2" groups. Figured it was good enough for a back-up gun or a close range gun and I'd tinker with it in the off-season. Packed it up to moose camp and while I was there it rained, so I took the time to clean it up. Upon disassembly I noticed the front action screw was bent about 25 degrees, and the action tang was actually embedded in the stock. I quickly pulled it the rest of the way apart and discovered the stock wasn't correct for the rifle as the recoil lug doesn't match with the inletting. It actually looks like someone removed material from the stock with the intention of doing a bedding job, but never finished pouring the glass. This I can fix, just like the bent action screw (Forster already ordered from Midway USA). What really concerns me though, is the magazine box looked a bit tight for the cartridges. A quick reassembly showed it wouldn't feed the top cartridge from a full mag, and even with only two rounds in it, they still stacked-up a bit and took some finagling to get out. I'm sure it bent a bit when the rifle shifted in the stock, but I got to looking at it and noticed it's for an AIII action. Is there any difference between the AIII and AV mag boxes? Those long 375 cartridges are touching front and back, and I'm sure even if I manage to get the box square again they'll be a snug fit.
Anybody have thoughts on what I have? Know who built it? Maybe point me in the direction of someone who still has a magazine box for a magnum AV? I really like the gun and prefer to carry it over my 85 as it's lighter and handier for most of my hunting. What I can't have though, is a dangerous game rifle that I can't trust...
Thanks in advance,
-Adam

The magazine box for the A-III and A-V should be identical (and identical to the L61R, also). Considering the trauma it must have suffered, the magazine box has to be at least slightly deformed. You may be able to get a new one from a seller who uses the name Ridgerunner on Gunbroker. The box has an internal length of 3.6 and a few hundredths inches, which just barely clears a .375 H&H cartridge which has a maximum LOA of 3.6". The box for "standard" .30-06-type chambering and belted magnums was also the same, holding 5 in a 'standard' and 4 rounds in a 'magnum'.

I would toss the stock. It is obviously not correct for a Sako -- or if it is, it is of such poor quality as to be unfit for use. There were two iterations of the A-V; one had a single crossbolt at the recoil lug and used the original #4 trigger, the later version had two crossbolts (one just in front of the trigger) and used a Tikka-type trigger. The reason for the rear crossbolt was that the newer trigger was bulkier and required more wood be removed, thus calling for a crossbolt to strengthen the stock.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info.
I'll try the gunbroker angle and if that doesn't work, I'll take the mag box to a gunsmith and hope he can square it back up again. I thought the AIII and AV were the same length mag box, but I wasn't certain. I wonder if there isn't a way to lengthen the box just a bit to give room to the full-size cartridges? I guess I'll be happy if I can get it to feed every round, every time. I was going to glass bed the stock, but I think I'll just toss it and start over. I think I'll probably stay synthetic as that just suits what I'm using the rifle for. I don't really want to spend $500 for a McMillan (I only paid $550 for the rifle) so I guess I'll try a new Bell & Carlson and see how that works out. Last resort will be a Richards Microfit laminated.
Thanks again. Now I've got a direction to go, and Frankenstein doesn't look impossible to repair.
face-grin.png

-Adam

I don' t think it is really necesssary to have a longer box for the .375. There is no need to load it longer than 3.6", and any extra length in the box simply allows the cartridges to slide back-and-forth, banging up the noses. I have two Sako .375's (one is an Ackley Improved) and the magazine length is not a handicap with either.

I got my Forster replacement action screws yesterday and put everything back together. It appears the mag box didn't get damaged too badly and I was able to true it up with a 2x4, a rubber mallet and a little elbow grease. The stock is pretty much toast though. I might be able to fill the action screws and re-drill them correctly, but they were flawed from the beginning and I don't think it's worth the time or effort to repair something that might not work anyway. Here are a few pics for reference.
Thanks again for all the help with my mag box worries.
-Adam

Adam where in Alaska do you live I have a bell &carlson siting in the corner not being used anymore.
I live in Nenana Alaska.
Darry

Darry,
Missed the previous private messages...sorry 'bout that
face-surprise.png
I'm in Wasilla. Check your inbox please.
-Adam

I finally managed to get my hands on a custom-build Sako, and I got it for a song and a dance. It's an AV action in 375 H&H with a 21" bbl, front sight, no rear sight, sitting in a Bell & Carlson integral-sling stock. The bottom of the floorplate is engraved "Alaskan Guide Series #1 of 25".....
Thanks in advance,
-Adam

Adam,
Were you able to figure out what year your rifle was made? I haven't been able to figure anything out just using the serial number, because no one seems to have those records anymore. If you haven't seen my other messages yet, I also have an Alaskan Guide 1 of 25 SAKO 375 H&H mag.

Marc

An unreliable DG gun, that’s got to add some excitement to the game. All kidding aside, square up your bedding and feeding issues and don’t get carried away trying to shoot tiny groups. Two MOA is sufficient for moose and bear. Good luck with the gun and happy hunting.

Latest posts

Back