Franken-25-06 - Coltsman stock

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Charles Witt, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Charles Witt

Charles Witt Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Hi all. I've been looking for a 25-06 and this one popped up online for (what seemed like) a reasonable price, so I snagged it. Only problem is that it appears that it could be a Frankengun (even aside from the stock, which does not seem to be original to this gun).
    Please take a look at the pics and let me know if you think the barrel is original to the receiver. I can deal with having the barreled action, but if the barrel was added, I will probably return it due to safety concerns.

Thank you for your help.

Coltsman stock
    L61R action
    Serial 529xxx
    Receiver says Imported by Stoeger along right side of receiver, under the stock.
    Barrel is marked:
    Sako
    Cal..25-06 across the top in typical fashion.
    Barrel is stamped A on bottom opposite caliber designation.
    No sights or leaf/hood.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Don't see any pics, but sounds like you have a Sako action & barrel in a Coltsman stock. The Coltsman was from the early 1960's, had no import stamp & were barreled by Colt with front & rear open sights & Colt stampings. The location of the import stamp indicates it was imported as an action only. Serial number indicates 1970's after Stoeger became importer but before stamping change to AIII in 1978. If barrel was original to receiver the import stamp would be on the barrel. Conclusion: Stock -1963-65, Action -late 1970's, Barrel -undetermined, but not original to action.

Charles Witt likes this.
  3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    That's about the weirdest combination I've ever heard of. First, the serial number coincides with Garcia era rifles, not Stoegers. It doesn't sound like the barrel is original to the action since the import mark was typically on the barrel on either a barreled action or a finished rifle; the only time an import mark was typically seen on an action was when it was shipped as an action-only. And of course a Coltsman stock from the 1960's doesn't fit with either the barrel (no .25-06's back then) or the action.

Is the bolt shrouded like an A-series?

Charles Witt likes this.
  4. Charles Witt

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia

Attached Files:

5. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    And an AIII mag well &, although there is no clear picture of the cocking piece, it appears the bolt may have the A series shroud. Add in that the Colt stock has no sling swivels & it is quite the puzzle of parts. I'm guessing parts from possibly 5 different rifles spanning nearly two decades. Classic "Bitsa" would be an appropriate designation. List it as "rare" & you might start a bidding war in today's insane market.

Charles Witt likes this.
  6. lord frith

lord frith Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Belize
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    I would also be asking myself why there appears a splash of bluing missing around the Hatcher Hole. I've not ever seen a Hatcher Hole appearing as yours. I'm going for re-barrel for reasons other than those saved for acceptable rifle functioning. The bolt face has a black ring showing even more reasons for consternation. Have the rifle checked out for your life insurance carrier if nothing else.
    Stephen

Charles Witt likes this.
  7. Charles Witt

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Spoke with the seller and they agreed to take the rifle back (I pay the shipping).
    That was a weird one.
    Thanks to all who replied for the helpful info. Gives me faith in humanity.