Found a Sako in Alberta

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Doug William Wood, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Doug William Wood

Doug William Wood Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    Old Albertan with a gun, Woody here. I have a few Sakos but this one I found for sale is a curiosity. It is a Riihimaki with H161xxx serial number on the bolt. But look at the barrel, it only says 222Rem. It has a bulge strange taper. It must be a re-barrel job. The stock has many scares from farm truck use. Can anyone help with the barrel? is it a Sako? If so is it worth the 400 bucks he wants for the gun? It shoots surprisingly well, close to an inch with a cheap scope and factory loads.

Attached Files:

2. dphauto

dphauto Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    Hi Doug; The stock looks like it's from a Marlin Model 322 and the serial number fits (16XXX) for that era. The barrel contour looks to me like its off a later model Browning/Sako safari. The micro groove barrels were changed out on a lot of Marlins because of alleged poor accuracy so yours was probably replaced for the same reason I'm guessing.
    Just my 2 cents; DPH

3. Doug William Wood

Doug William Wood Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    thanks for the info, i'm sure you are correct. I looked at some Marlins and Browning Sakos on line now that you mentioned it. Seems like quite a story parts and manufacturers. This one is a far cry from good looking, but it does shoot as good as I can see at my age. I may try it with a better scope.

4. waterwolf

waterwolf Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    I'm another old Albertan. In Canada, that L46 .222 magazine alone goes for around $150. (Can) or more. The rifle is definitely worth $400.