Forester Varmint .243 value? Looking to buy my 1st Sako

Discussion in 'Valuation Corner' started by siekkid, Jul 17, 2012.

1. siekkid

siekkid Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Hi, I would like to purchase my first Sako, and ran across a Forester Varmint .243 that looks to be in very good shape. The shop has it on consignment and is asking $900. Is this a good price? There is no scope or rings with the rifle.

Thanks!

-Dave

2. bloorooster

bloorooster Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    siekkid...condition is everything ...BUT, an early Bofors Barreled L579 (Forester) will be worth around that, anything dated after 1971-72 should be considerably less than 9 bills for a varmint barreled Sako in .243 win. See if you can get the Ser. #...and they are almost ALWAYS tack drivers...I love mine!~Bloo

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    siekked,

If a rifle is on consignment I always figure the asking price is high - considering some shops ask a hefty % of the sale from the owner. A reputable shop should work with you on the price and if they communicate your interest with the owner, you should be able to get it cheaper. If they won't negotiate, then just wait it out while you look for something else. They may come down if there is little interest.

S-A

4. siekkid

siekkid Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    The barrel does have Bofors on it. It has been at this shop for maybe a couple of months, so I think I will try to negotiate a better price when I'm that way tomorrow. I'll get the serial number too.

5. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Like everything else, the prices seem to be rising. My observations lately are that "Bofors" barreled L579's in "nice" condition are getting harder to come by for under $1000. If it's what you are looking for & you want it, the price is within the range of market value if "very good shape" means the same thing to you as it does to me. Only thing that would deter me would be an eroded or pitted bore. This should be visible when you inspect the bore. Your first Sako is always something you will remember & never regret. Welcome to the club!!

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    By and large, a heavy barrel will command a little more money than a sporter, condition being equal. The potential problem with an HB is that it could have had lots of rounds down the barrel, either at targets or varmints or both. HB's do tend to get more trigger time than do sporters. Sporters tend to be carried a lot and shot a little, while HB owners are usually quite careful in handling their rifles but shoot them a lot. All depends on who owned it and how it was used; but I would inspect the barrel and throat much closer on an HB than on a sporter. If the barrel is still good and the cosmetics are good, $900 is not out of line. If you can get a few bucks knocked off of that, you'll be in great shape.

7. siekkid

siekkid Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Thanks guys... I am the proud new owner of my 1st Sako!

I ended up purchasing it for $900 out the door, saving about $60 on taxes and paperwork. A visual inspection of the bore prior to making the deal showed a nice looking bore to my untrained eyes. The wood has lost its shine in the spot behind the rear sling swivel, and there is one minor indentation in the wood on the butt stock. It has the scope bases, but no rings.

[​IMG]

Now I need advice on a scope so I can start enjoying it!

8. bloorooster

bloorooster Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Scope advice...Get the best scope you can afford....Leupold is very hard to beat, older Burris and Redfields (Denver) are outstanding as well as the old Weaver...I currently have a '70's era Redfield 12X on my L579 HB, and it does a fantastic job...My best group (3 shots) thus far is .293"

If your rifle has Weaver aluminum bases, toss them, they will lend to accuracy issues down the road because of the softer aluminum will spread over time with recoil, shifting your POI...Sako Ringmounts will always be my #1 choice, but Leupold rings work very well. If your bases are the Redfield type ,turn in style, you should be fine...

Congrats on your first Sako! let us know how she shoots!!~Bloo

9. siekkid

siekkid Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Approximate year? serial number 345XX

photo.JPG

10. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The first L579 was SN 10091 on Jan. 29, 1960. SN 118961 was born on Feb. 15, 1973. Yours(SN 345XX), as it has a Bofors barrel, was made before they dropped the stamping, which I believe was in the 1966 to 1968 time frame (others may correct me on the year). Doing some guesstimation I would say yours was born in the early to mid 60's. Sako didn't always build rifles in sequence with the serial numbers & their records are not very detailed or precise, so the best we can do is an approximation. Hopefully the dovetails haven't been drilled & tapped to attach those bases. If so, I'm afraid it has been devalued from a collector's standpoint. It doesn't affect how it will shoot, however & it is still a very nice rifle. If it were mine, I would remove those bases & dispose of them in the nearest trash can & get ringmounts that attach directly to the dovetails, like Sakos or Leupolds. Much better mounting system & they do not damage the dovetails.

11. rowdy

rowdy Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Nova Scotia
    Good Looking Rifle, Let us know how it shoots !

12. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Siekkid- My files from the old SCC has your rifle as very early 1964 or even late 1963. That is a very pretty "Varmint" congrats.-Misako

13. nickz

nickz Active Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    Looks very nice mate, good find. I like that model. Would love to get one just like that one day if I could find one. Wish they still made them.

14. siekkid

siekkid Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I went with a Zeiss Conquest Riflescope... 3-9X40, along with steel Sako mounts. I am very happy with the results. After sighting the new scope in, it's first shot was perfectly accurate on this Pennsylvania 7 point whitetail!

deer.JPG

15. siekkid

siekkid Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania