Forester safety setting on recoil

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by Azazel, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Azazel

Azazel Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maryland
    So I’ve got an early 80s Sako Forester in .308. I’ve noticed the last few times at the range that the safety is sometimes setting under recoil and locking the bolt. I think of course have to push it off safe to work the bolt and fire another round. Mildly annoying on the bench, but more so for hunting (hasn’t happened while hunting yet).

Any ideas what might be causing that and if I might be able to fix it or adjust something to prevent it from happening. I will admit my Sako is probably the only gun I own that I haven’t stripped it down or at least taken it out of the stock before (I’ve detail stripped at least 20 different models of gun).

Thanks!

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Perhaps removing the barreled action from the stock & examining the trigger/safety mechanism would reveal what is wrong. Beings I don't have the rifle in hand limits my ability to do that & provide you with an explanation.

3. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Here are a couple of suggestions. As you can see on the photo below, the safety slides alongside the trigger housing, retained by a pair of screws. If I remember correctly, there is a ball-spring detent under the slider. (It's been a couple of months since I took one of these apart.) One of several things could cause the safety to slip:
    1. One or both of the retaining screws is/are loose.
    2. The detent is stuck because of old, hardened lubricant in the mechanism.
    3. The spring is broken or permanently compressed.

If the detent is stuck because of gunk, the entire trigger mechanism should be cleaned. You can try a spray gun cleaner, soak it in solvent or (best, but requires skill and self-confidence) take the thing apart and clean it with solvent, wire brushes, scrapers, picks, or whatever is your weapon of choice.

Sako Trigger.jpg

4. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The ball detent pressure, on the safety lever piece, is adjusted by a screw on the left side of the trigger housing. On my triggers, I seal the setting with a single drop of clear fingernail polish.....on top of the screw slot.

Hope this helps.

5. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Interesting - I never noticed the adjuster, probably because I've never had to adjust the detent. Thanks for pointing that out, a loose adjustment screw could well be the original poster's problem.