• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Forester help

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I have Sako Forester - .308 carbine with a manlicher stock with an 18 1/2 inch barrel - Serial Number is AII 344265 - last three numbers of the serial number are also etched on the inside of the bolt handle - Can anyone tell me when this gun was manufactured and how many of the carbines were made? - I cannot seem to find any information on this particular combination - thanks

You may have what is referred to as a "transition rifle". They are manufactured at a time when characteristics changed as did the importer influence on the Sako Factory. About 1980 would be my best guess. Does your rifle have the streamlined bolt shroud or the more common bolt configuration like the Pre Garcias? Congrats on owning a fine rifle BTW.-Misako

Based on your serial # your rifle was made sometime in the early 1980's. Probably prior to May 3, 1982 when the "change of the rear part of the receiver" occurred with serial #351081. Sako didn't keep exact records & produced things out of sequence with the serial # sometimes, so it is very difficult to pinpoint an exact date. I don't know of any data base that specifies how many of each variation (standard, deluxe, & mannlicher) were made, but others here may have some information on that. How are you measuring the barrel? The standard length for the Mannlicher was 20" (or 500 mm) & if I haven't "misremembered" is measured from the muzzle to the bolt face. I think the 308 Win is less common than the 243 & is a very nice rifle.

Although the Mannlicher carbine barrels were mostly 20", some of the Mannlicher barrels in the A-II era were shorter, appx. 18.5" models.

The U.S. importer, Stoeger, almost immediately changed the action designation from "L-579" to "A-II" after taking over importation in late 1978. I have to assume that this was for marketing purposes ("new and improved", you know), but the Sako factory didn't actually start stamping the actions with this designation until sometime a couple of years later. The earliest A-series guns I've seen are sometime in the first few years of the 1980's.

Because Sako was so bad about taking actions out of serial number order to make finished rifles, no one can tell you the exact date of manufacture of your rifle, and Sako either kept no records or did not preserve the records. Likewise, we can only speculate about the total number of a given form of rifle that might have been produced since those records don't exist, either.

thanks for the reply - I measured the barrell from the end of the muzzle to asnd including the chamber - this is the way required by the Canadian Government to declare firearms - it is a short and sweet gun

Back