• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

First Sako

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

clovis

Recently purchased a vintage Finnbear in pristine condition at an estate sale. It is chambered in .270 Win. I'd like recommendations on initial test ammo as well as other loads that you've found successful. It is serial # 12221 with the Bofors barrel, three lug, bolt, and proper markings. Will not be just a safe queen, Looking forward to deer season but want to treat it right. This is a lovely rifle and have heard good things about Sako and can understand why there is a dedicated site!

Welcome clovis, sounds like a great early rifle in a classic cartridge. We’d all love to see photos if it’s within your means.

Obviously, ammo is in short supply theses day so trying to be specific is probably not really achievable. My advice as of today would be to try and source some 130 grain factory ammunition, of good quality, and see what it will do. Typically I’ll benchmark a .270 with something in the 130grn weight. Hornady Whitetail, Federal Power Shock or plain old Remington Core-Lokt will suffice-if you can find some. Otherwise and unfortunately, you may have to purchase whatever is out there. There are a few custom ammunition makers such as Pendleton Ammo, or perhaps your capabilities allow you to press your own.

Best of luck, it may be a bit of a challenge.

Thank you for the info. Now on to the ammo quest. I will try to post photos later.

Thank you for the info. Now on to the ammo quest. I will try to post photos later.
Anytime.... One other item to address. Check the two action screws for proper tightness, with a proper fitting screwdriver.

Sometimes these older wood stocked specimens have swelled-and shrunk slightly over time, and most have seen various conditions. It’s possible to break a stock from recoil if the screws are loose. You’d be surprised how often this occurs.

Anytime.... One other item to address. Check the two action screws for proper tightness, with a proper fitting screwdriver.

Sometimes these older wood stocked specimens have swelled-and shrunk slightly over time, and most have seen various conditions. It’s possible to break a stock from recoil if the screws are loose. You’d be surprised how often this occurs.
Amen to that. And one more thing, even if the stock doesn't break, loose action screws are certain to degrade accuracy.

Will certainly check for tightness. Just hand tight or a specific torque? Past owner was meticulous in his care and storage of an extensive high grade grade collection. Could have spent a small fortune. Tough to bid against dealers. I appreciate your advice. Will work on photos.

Personally, I don’t use a torque driver for this task. Others do and that’s fine. I use a proper fitting hollow ground gunsmith screwdriver. Typically I snug both screws, then bump the pad with the ball of my hand. Then carefully tighten the front screw very firm, then the rear firm. Again, others may use a slightly different technique, this is simply how I was taught and it’s always worked for me.

Like Bigcountry, I use a good-fitting screwdriver to get the front screw as tight as practical by hand. Then I make the rear screw just firm, not squeaky tight.

You should check the action screws on a rifle every couple of years whether you are shooting it regularly or not. Environmental conditions and simple age can alternately shrink and swell the wood resulting in loosening of the screws. But whatever you do DON'T put any type of locking compound on them (or any other screw on a gun or scope). Someone will live to regret it.

Hello Clovis,
You have come to the right spot for info on your Sako .270. The gentlemen that have responded to your questions are the best source of information available and their kindness is boundless Just for your Information I have been looking on the "Gun Broker" web site and have found some ammo & reloading materials. There was some .270 projectiles, casings, and various powders available. Maybe you know a fiend or two that reloads and get together with them. There are many posts on this website and you may like to try various combos to see what your rifle shoots best. I wish I had found this site years ago as I have been educated on many aspects of shooting, scope choices, ammo reloading and a meriad of sako related subjects. Welcome aboard and best of luck. B/T

Attachments

• IMG_5691Argenyinanhunt.jpg
    IMG_5691Argenyinanhunt.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Welcome Clovis!
Hopefully by now the ammo price orgy has subsided and things are coming more available. You should get good results from just about any factory loads from Remington Core lok to Federal Premium. 130’s are all I ever shot in my .270.
Use caution with hand loads unless you personally work them up yourself after careful application of proper reference and components. Never trust someone else’s loads, for they will not give you the same results from his gun to yours. This risk is commonly over looked and can lead to trouble of gianormous levels.
Let us know how she shoots!
Best of luck
Hippie

E281E14F-AEB6-4DE7-AE61-FF8DABEBD5CE.jpeg BD8A271C-03E4-40B5-BFFF-57947409E48B.jpeg F68D5447-F1DD-4C32-ABE2-8B337EE8D875.jpeg 1E120F0A-E2C7-42F6-8893-4D77E1B4AE63.jpeg 6B1D2235-52D8-4F4E-A60F-669DE1957B38.jpeg
Hello Clovis,
You have come to the right spot for info on your Sako .270. The gentlemen that have responded to your questions are the best source of information available and their kindness is boundless Just for your Information I have been looking on the "Gun Broker" web site and have found some ammo & reloading materials. There was some .270 projectiles, casings, and various powders available. Maybe you know a fiend or two that reloads and get together with them. There are many posts on this website and you may like to try various combos to see what your rifle shoots best. I wish I had found this site years ago as I have been educated on many aspects of shooting, scope choices, ammo reloading and a meriad of sako related subjects. Welcome aboard and best of luck. B/T

Latest posts

Back