First Sako. Very excited.

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by DKM, Oct 14, 2020 at 4:30 AM.

1. DKM

DKM Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    First off, thanks to all of you for your contributions to this board. I stumbled on this board a few months ago after google brought me here while doing some research on another firearm I own. After reading some posts and seeing some pics, I started down a path of curiosity. Now here I am. I just purchased my first Sako about a week ago from a local seller--an L579 deluxe in 243 (at what I believe to be a great deal). I can't stop holding it. The other morning I found myself waking up at 2:00 in the morning with the urge to go hold it, which I did. I feel like a kid after Christmas. It's a Garcia import, so I was a little disappointed after doing more research and finding that they're not as desirable.

Anyway, the gun is in good condition, but the stock is a little dull. Is this because the varnish (or whatever it is) is wearing off, or is it because it needs a good stock cleaning? If so, what product and procedure do you use to first clean the stock, then to make it shine? Thanks for any advice.

Attached Files:

Ian H, ricksengines and susanna like this.

2. caberslash

caberslash Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Orkney
    Hey DKM,

New owner here too (L461 Vixen, .222 but reamed to .223 by a previous owner :mad:).

My stock is just the basic model, the Deluxe definitely holds more value but I was not worried about that as mine is for use (hunting).

Anyway, I would try a few dabs of Linseed oil on the stock (which I believe is Walnut). Wipe the stock with a clean towel then apply the oil by hand, gradually. It may just be the case that the wood needs a 'feed' much like leather does from time to time.

Hope the rifle gives you many years of good shooting and hunting stories!

DKM and Rogan Kinnear like this.
  3. Unclekax

Unclekax Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    In my view the importer does not make the Sako.
    There are characteristics in the period in which the various importers operated that individuals may find more or less desirable.
    However it is still a jewel of a rifle.
    Please enjoy it for what it is, and welcome to the club.
    Kax

DKM, Rogan Kinnear and caberslash like this.
  4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    As the finish on your Sako is a not an oil type but rather a spray on urethane of some kind, putting linseed oil on it would only create a mess. It would not penetrate & just be a sticky mess on top of your finish. Renaissance Wax or Johnson Paste Wax will bring back the shine you seek. Sako did have some problems with their finish for a period but I'm not sure if your rifle falls within that time frame. The finish would go cloudy & get soft for some reason. Renaissance Wax was one of the short term remedies I've heard of. There are threads here that discuss that issue you can search. Nice rifle!!

DKM likes this.
  5. DKM

DKM Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah

Thanks, caberslash!

6. DKM

DKM Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    Thanks for the welcome, Kax.

7. DKM

DKM Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    Good info. The finish doesn't seem soft at all, I think it just needs a good cleaning and polishing. Seems hard and set to me. I'll give the renaissance wax a try and report back. I'll take some before and after pics too.

8. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I use Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen and Conditioner to clean up stocks. For best appearance you can follow up with Birchwood Casey stock wax, or Renaissance Wax, or Johnson's paste wax. The Sako Deluxe has a hard-shell varnish finish. I do not recommend treating this finish with linseed oil, which should only be used on linseed-based natural oil finishes. In any case, linseed is a finish, not a cleaning agent. I use it to restore the finish on older rifles (especially military rifles) that were originally finished with linseed, but I do any necessary cleaning before applying the linseed oil.

DKM likes this.
  9. DKM

DKM Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    Thanks for the advice, icebear. I ordered some renaissance wax from Amazon. I'll grab some birchwood Casey stock sheen and conditioner too.

10. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Go straight to the BC Gun Stock Wax. Just keep working it over and over again.....elbow grease. This will get you where you need to be, I've done it on dozens of Sako stocks. Nice rifle !

DeerGoose

DKM likes this.
  11. DKM

DKM Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    Thanks, deergoose. Am I to understand that you don't really use a wood cleaner to get any grime off, that you just go straight for the BC Gun Stock Wax? The BC Gun Wax along with elbow grease will remove the dirt and grime? Your post in this category with the pics with various Sako rifles is incredible--did you just polish them with BC wax? I'd love to hear your process! My jaw is on the floor!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 2:03 AM
  12. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    If you're wondering about a good thorough cleaning regimen (which, for an older, well-used stock, I think I'd recommend before applying wax), here's some advice from a forum member on the Rimfire Central Forum. It is in Post #5 of the following thread ("How to Clean a Dirty Stock"). The poster, noremf, was the resident expert on that forum on all things related to stock finishing, cleaning, polishing, etc. And if you really want to learn some things about wood finishes and polishes, read through the whole thread and, particularly, noremf's several posts.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492333

Once all the crud is cleaned from the stock, you can proceed to the wax treatment. Renaissance Wax is a top choice. Another good stock wax is the CCL Gunstock Wax Polish:

https://www.williamevans.com/produc...aning-accessories/ccl-gunstock-wax-polish-gmk

As noremf has explained in some detail, I would avoid any polish containing mineral oil or silicone.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 2:35 AM
    DKM likes this.