Fire Arms International Corp Washington D.C. Import

Discussion in 'Sako Mannlichers and Carbines' started by Rocky, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    I seen a Sako with the import stamp of Fire Arms International Corp. Washington D.C.
    I thought only Garica, and Stoger imported these rifles. What years did Fire Arms Int. import them?

2. emmerth

emmerth Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Firearms International was prior to Garcia.

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Firearms International was the Sako importer from the about 1949 until 1971. However, you'll only find the FI import mark on Sakos imported after the effective date of the 1968 Gun Control Act, which mandated that guns be marked with the importer's name and location. So, only those Sakos from late 1968 through 1971 will have the FI mark, despite the fact that thousands were imported by FI earier.

Some Sakos in the U.S. made later than 1968 do not bear an importer's mark. Most of those were brought home by U.S. servicemen who bought them in Europe and could return with them unrestricted and without going through an importer.

4. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Thanks guys for the replies!

5. RC20

RC20 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    Really old thread but how did they then distribute the Sakos to the rest of the US?

My dad bought one in 1962 (likely October or so) in Alaska and unusual for that time and place