• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnwolf VL63 Finnwolf VL63 Front Sight

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

So I just added a Sako rear peep sight to my new to me Finnwolf and cannot even shots on paper without holding 12" low! I'm wondering if the rear sight is just not compatible or is the front sight the issue.
Can anyone identify this as original or replacement. That would be appreciated.
Thanks Richard

Attachments

• 00000IMG_00000_BURST20191229150942654_COVER.jpg
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20191229150942654_COVER.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Just sent you an email but

As you suspect your sight is not original - may be even worse - I can't tell for sure but possibly someone may have opened up the dovetail slot to accommadate a 3/8" standard sight base?

Attachments

• P1210740.JPG
    P1210740.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 27
It is the front sight. You need a taller front sight to get your rifle to shoot poa. It is not uncommon to have to regulate with the height of the front sight...

Assuming you have the rear sight adjusted as low at it will go, use this formula to calculate how much higher your front sight needs to be to lower your POI to hit the bullseye. Error(in your case 12") divided by the distance to target in inches (100 yards=3600 inches) X the sight radius(distance from front sight to rear sight) in inches = correction needed in front sight height. Use decimals to express fractions of inches. Add this correction to the height of your existing sight to determine what front sight height to get. It's best to center your rear sight when determining "error", so you have adjustment capability up & down. You may want to shoot at 50 or even 25 yards if you have trouble with POI being too far off target at 100. Just change your "distance to target' accordingly. BTW, file the sight dovetail to fit, not the dovetail cut in the ramp. Your ramp dovetail looks original to me, but the Sako dovetail is much smaller than the standard 3/8" dovetail the replacement sights will have. Fortunately they are aluminum & file easily. You should use a front sight installation tool to remove & install, rather than risk damage by "hammering" them in with a punch. They are designed to go in from right to left & removed left to right. To do otherwise with damage your dovetail cut. Having a smith do it is your best option. A fiber optic front works very nicely with a peep, & would be my choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: FLT
It is the front sight. You need a taller front sight to get your rifle to shoot poa. It is not uncommon to have to regulate with the height of the front sight...
Hi thanks for the input. From what I have learned from other members is that the sight is not original and not even close in height for practical shooting...it measures .185". Lucky the dove tail is still the correct size .191".

Hi thanks for the input. From what I have learned from other members is that the sight is not original and not even close in height for practical shooting...it measures .185". Lucky the dove tail is still the correct size .191".
I mis-spoke in my previous post. I should have said I assume your rear sight is as "low" as it will go! I'll correct the post. You are not likely to find a front sight with the correct dovetail size to fit your ramp, but you may get lucky. I have never ran across one. Good luck!

Right...as low as it can go. And I believe I have sight located! I'll do the calculations to determine what blade height I do need.
Thanks

curious what front sight height you ended up with? I'm also trying to find a sight blade to match a peep sight rear. Cheers.

curious what front sight height you ended up with? I'm also trying to find a sight blade to match a peep sight rear. Cheers.
The sight I went with is the. 464. It's been quite some time since I've taken that rifle to the range or been to the range at all for that matter having a difficult time finding ammunition for this and other firearms so I'm hesitant to use up any that I have right now so it can't give you a definite answer as to whether or not I feel that's an adequate height but that's the size I went with.
Hope that helps I'll post again when I do take the FINNWOLF to the range.

Thanks. Took the gun to the range for the first time today. After a few rounds to get it on paper it was shooting 1.5MOA with Sako 150gr. gamehead. No issues repeatedly hitting a 300yard 8 inch gong repeatedly with the Redfield 2-7x scope. I suspect handloads could get the rifle shooting sub MOA. Have a front sight ramp/hood and rear peep on the way.

Attachments

• 20220327_103759.jpg
    20220327_103759.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 15
Back