Finnwolf Value

Discussion in 'Valuation Corner' started by Rocky, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Can I get some idea's of what a .308, non Garica marked Finnwolf, 98 to 99% would be worth?
    Serial number from what I can tell would date it around 1972.
    Stock seems to have been cut and a Pachmayr butt pad attached. It comes with Sako rings attached.
    A really nice one but the butt pad thing scares me a bit. How bad does this hurt the rifle, as far as collector value?

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Any modification to a "collectible" firearm severely damages it "collector" value. Cutting the stock & adding an aftermarket pad usually means a big discount. Some collectors consider any modification as making the rifle no longer a "collectible" piece & would show no interest. Others would deem it as a nice usable hunting rifle & value it accordingly based on condition, market comparisons, & their desire to own. The various auction & gun sales sites would give you an idea of "asking" prices for altered Finnwolfs. What they sell for is a different matter. Without a hands on appraisal the best anyone can do is a rough guesstimate of it's value. There are "Wolf" guys here that know more than me that may offer more detailed advice.

3. iwanna

iwanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Yeah, if the stock's been cut and a pad added that pretty much takes care of the collector value. But, as a practical matter the pad probably makes it a better rifle. The original plastic plate is kind of slippery if you ask me. So if you're not paying top buck, it's still one heck of a fine rifle.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    Hey,

Way to go!!! This Valuation Corner may be just what we need. Good examples.

Thanks guys!

S-A

5. cmjr

cmjr Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Curious, how hard is it to find a Finnwolf stock? I don't slap heavy discounts on rifles because of buttpads and the such unless they are cut or missing the original stock. Now drill holes in the action, non factory barrel then yea, stocks are not that hard to find.

6. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Thanks guys for the feedback.

I believe that the Finnwolf has the Sako mounts and rings.

Just how easy is it to find another stock for this year rifle? And what might one cost if one could be found?

7. enotstehw

enotstehw Banned

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    Finding a factory replacement stock is next to impossible. The early wolfs had four round clips. If the clip is flush with the stock then it is a three round clip. Some guys will pay more for a wolf with a four round clip.

I sold my wolf in Feb. for $1100.00 on gunbroker. It had a left hand stock, four round clip the blue was 97% and the sock was 90%.

8. iwanna

iwanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    It would be nice to know if it was pre or post '72.
    Does it have a 'casket shaped' magazine? Fixed swivels? Cheekpiece?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  9. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    I'm going to pass on it. I'm sure that another that is all correct will show up.

Thanks guys for all the feedback.

10. pablopac

pablopac Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    Could one of you kind folks suggest an appraiser who knows sake in MD? Or can I perhaps post a photo and description for thoughts? Thanks in advance. Pablo

11. pablopac

pablopac Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    Correction.

Sorry, auto correct changed my Sako to sake.

12. iwanna

iwanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    By all means post any pix you can while the deal is still on. I'll chime in for what it's worth.