• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnwolf VL63 Finnwolf prices

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

iwanna

I guess I follow the market since I have one. Jees. Have they gone up. A nice Garcia with "plaid" wood grain sold for 2130.00 on GB the other day. Nothing under 1500.00 any more it seems.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=271047104

Personally, I don't care for the plaid wood. Looks like what we used to call a "full-Cleveland" leisure suit back in the '70's. Don't get me wrong; I love wood fiddleback and tiger stripe, but when it gets to this level, it looks too jarring. Maybe I could dig out my old plaid bell-bottoms. I know they're in the back of the closet somewhere.

I was watching that one too, in disbelief. I think the knarly wood is definitely what made that one soar. I really liked it myself.

iwanna...about those plaid Bell bottoms....did they have a matching vest and kerchiff? I had a killer plaid zoot suit back in '71-'72...My ma really liked it, she made me wear it way more than I really wanted to, oh yeah I also had the classic elevator shoes that just set it all off!:hippie: HAHAHAHAA -Bloo

Last edited:
I have a Weatherby Orion with the exact same wood pattern. And I think "pattern" is the operative word here. When the grain starts to form geometric shapes like that, it's just not that attractive to me personally. Now, to be clear, I would also expect extra if I was SELLING the Weatherby. And, I probably wouldn't expect to get far with a seller if I complained about wood like that. Way better than plain wood. Although I'd rather have a pre-'68 Finnwolf with plain wood. Mine is Garcia.

Oh, yeah. I had the elephant bells and the platform shoes back in the early '70's. Tight Euro T-shirts. Long hair. Chick magnet. Yeah, right.

It must have been the wood that increased the price. Maybe even a full five-hundred bucks worth. Yeah, I could see that.

Wood is definately an "eye of the beholder" factor. Some fancy wood seems universally attractive, while other fancy wood has its fans and detractors. Back in the 60's and early 70's there was a lot of maple being used in custom gunstocks, and Remington even offered a limited edition maple stock on their 700. Some liked quilted and some liked birdseye. Maple makes an excellent, hard, stable stock wood, but it is heavy as lead! Best used on large calibers where the weight is more welcome.

That reminds me. I saw a Sako Deluxe with a factory stock the other day on GB described as having "maple" wood. Not likely. Funny descriptions that one sees.

It had a few things in its favor first the wood then the original peepsight and also it was a .308

I noticed the peep sight, but I don't think that it's original. The rifle is a Garcia. It has front and rear sights. I was wondering if the peep would even work without removing the rear sight. I have the same sights on mine. Nice sights. I wish I was younger so I could use them.

Your probably right on the hangtag of my finnwolf they list a peep as an option unfortunately mine has none at all .

Full-Cleveland leisure suit

:bigsmile:
I guess I follow the market since I have one. Jees. Have they gone up. A nice Garcia with "plaid" wood grain sold for 2130.00 on GB the other day. Nothing under 1500.00 any more it seems.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=271047104

Personally, I don't care for the plaid wood. Looks like what we used to call a "full-Cleveland" leisure suit back in the '70's. Don't get me wrong; I love wood fiddleback and tiger stripe, but when it gets to this level, it looks too jarring. Maybe I could dig out my old plaid bell-bottoms. I know they're in the back of the closet somewhere.
"full-Cleveland" just love it. We always threatened our kids we were going to send them to Cleveland when they were bad (in a Dr. Zeuss cronk car no less) thanks for the smile

IMG_0982.jpg IMG_0983.jpg IMG_0987.jpg IMG_0989.jpg I have a Finnwolf .243 NEW IN THE BOX. I am trying to get an accurate value. Can anyone help? I think it depends on the serial number

Last edited:
That is a great looking "Wolf", Nick. I don't want to hazard a guess that might hurt your feelings but I guess I will. Someone else may have a differing opinion, however. I would say a few bucks north of $2400 with the box and the scope mount plates intact. Another 100 if you have a peep sight that may or may not have gone with the deal. I would love to see more of the rifle when you get time. -Misako

Nick, nice looking gun. Let us know if you decide to sell. I would be interested in making an offer.

Thanks. Emmerth

Back