Finnwolf VL63 finnwolf info

Discussion in 'Sako Finnwolf VL63 lever actions' started by tripleshock, Aug 13, 2013.

1. tripleshock

tripleshock Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Kansas
    I am dealing on a Finnwolf serial # 8772 about 99% would really like some help on possible value and manufacture date i believe it is probably around 72 0r73 any help would be appreciated.Been waiting along time for my first Sako hope this is it.

2. Hootsmon

Hootsmon Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Hard to find a Finnwolf for less than 1k these days. Early 70's sounds right for that serial. Should have a flat bottom magazine and likely no cheekpiece on the stock. Don't dry fire it.

3. tripleshock

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Kansas
    Thanks Hootsman I am now the owner but it cost me more than a grand but it's a real find and i always wanted one.

4. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Hey Tripleshock- How about some pictures of the "new arrival". We haven't had a Finnwolf birth on here for quite a while.-Misako

5. iwanna

iwanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Don't take it apart either. Complicated action. Even gunsmiths have been known to struggle.

Although... There was an extremely good post on how to do just that awhile back on this forum, complete with pictures and all. But, I'm still not brave enough to even pull the bolt out of mine. Then again, I've never even considered taking a Winchester '94 apart.

6. tripleshock

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Kansas
    I'm too dam'n dumb to post pics but I'll try to get help when it gets here.

7. tripleshock

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Kansas
    Just curious if any of you fellows knew Jim Lutes we lived in the same KS. town.Hunted and drank together for 35 years. He was guite a Sako wheeler and dealer.

8. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Tripleshock- Just talked to him a few times and ran into him at a gun show once. Never knew him. There is a long time member on here that goes by "Sakonut" who may have known both of you. Gene Failor has been "Sakoconnected" for quite a while. I get a kick out of reading the old monthly newsletters from the original SCA. Gives a great insight to some of the oldtimers.-Misako

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  9. enotstehw

enotstehw Banned

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    I'd call Jim every month with questions about different types of Sako's back in the late 1980's. He always had time to talk to me.
    What ever happened to his collection? I saw a photo in the old Sako collectors news letter of Jim's collection it was over 100 Sakos.

10. sws1213

sws1213 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I too have wondered about his collection. I met Jim at some of the meetings of the old SCA. Also wonder what became of Mims Reed aka Sako One and his fabulous collection. Anyone know?

11. tripleshock

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Kansas
    In Jim's later years he sold most all of his collection.I believe his brother Bill who lives here also maybe have a few.N ot totally sure but I'll ask him next time we cross paths.

12. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    A year or two ago Jim Lutes grandson was dispersing some of his left-overs. These were stocks and parts; I think that the bulk of his rifles had been dispersed earlier.

Mims Reed is still kicking, but his interests are now elsewhere than Sakos. Word is that he dispersed the bulk of his Sako collection some time back.

13. sakonut

sakonut Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Jim Lutes

Yes, I knew and hunted with Jim Lutes several times during my tenure on the BOD of the old SCA. I remember bouncing across Wyoming ranchlands in his Jeep while he had a mug of bloody mary sitting on the dash. Jim was the most knowledgeble Sako fan I ever knew. He had a tremendous collectlion of parts, and always demanded top dollar for them. Jim and Mims Reed arranged production (it was their money) and import of the special Finnwolf collection series of 135 guns, which sold quickly (mostly to SCA members). Mims invited me to his home during an annual meeting in Ft. Worth. He had a tremendous collection of not just Sakos, but also many other high end firearms, including 8 Merkel shotguns. I believe Mims sold his entire collection of Sakos. Last I heard about 10 years ago, he bought a gun shop in the DWF area. I e-mailed him once, he never responded.

It would be neat to know how many old SCA members are on this site, and have them identify themselves.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  14. sserlachius

sserlachius Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Mims Reed got very frustrated with the poor response he got from Sako in the mid/end 80's when the GM's of Sako were too busy saving their own asses during that volatile period when Nokia and Valmet where deciding the future of the company. Eventually
    if I remember correct, he got involved with Dakota.........(.and Sako ended up with Beretta.).... Pentti L (retired from Sako) still keeps in touch with Mims.

SS

15. L-46

L-46 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    You are right about Jim's rifles, we spoke quite a few times on the phone and exchanged a letter or two, he told me story's of hunts passed and ones coming up, also quad bikes or jeeps, i think they used to shoot off at times, many years back i tried to buy one of Jim's 218 bee's but he would not sell it, as the rifle was to go to his son/grandson. He also talked about growing clover or some grass for the sale of its seed.
    He did offer me a 218 bee once but i declined as it had the wrong stock on it, probably rates in the 'top 3' things, Not to do!

Most of Mims rifles were sold at the Rock Island 'famous' auction sale, sadly for Mims the market was flooded with unique Sako's, and the folding of the SCA meant buyers were scarce, many of the rifles did not make the reserve. I have a copy of the catalogue if anyone's interested but i think L61R has an original.
    A good friend bought two of his rifles that day, i have since ended up with one, a L46 wing safety in 222 mannlicher. I spoke to Mims when he had the shop, but i think was still running his family ranch, which was a big commitment in its self, he was disinterested in Sako discussion at that time, that was some years back.

L-46

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  16. tripleshock

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Kansas
    I got my wolf it is floated didn't even want to touch the screws to look in the channel . Were any of these factioy floated ? Knowing some things Sako done they might of floated some and some not.

17. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Tripleshock- Wolfs are a different system than- say- the 88 Win. or the bolt Sakos. They are accuracy and recoil shock sensitive due to a front "hangar Lug" that accommodates the front action screw. Just support the rifle well when you loosen up for disassembly. Drop the lever also. There is a copy of the Finnwolf Booklet on the Sako website. Read it well. -Have trouble and I will get your phone number and try to help.-Misako OH! Did I tell you to support the rifle very well when taking it apart?

18. tripleshock

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Kansas
    Misako with your vast knowledge were any of the wolves factory floated?

19. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Shock- I haven't had my hands on that many. Never heard of anyone "floating" the barrels since there is no bedding other than the recoil barrel hanger. This system may be what you are referring to when you say free floating. No need to alter it. All of mine have been good shooters as long as the loads are good and the screws good and snug. They do make a P-poor bench gun, however. Watch out for "thumb eye" in case you want to fire it fast.- Misako

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  20. tripleshock

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Kansas
    Not wanting to float my barrel but you can pass a dollar bill freely between barrel and stock didnt know if someone messed with it or factory. Thanks.