1. Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim
    Dismiss Notice

Finnwolf .308 , took it for a walk today...

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by Proudly Libertarian, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Proudly Libertarian

Proudly Libertarian Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Gloriously beautiful weather today, took several rifles out for some fresh air.
    Sighted thisVL63 in at 100 for hunting. Can get two holes to touch out of the box of four, even at 4X-power.
    Next year, I need to strip this and refinish. The varnish is dark and heavy and the wood underneath is too beautiful to hide. Sako Finnwolf Left.jpg Sako Finnwolf .308 R.jpg

stonecreek and deergoose like this.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Wow! Stocked for a lefty with the cheekpiece on the RH side. Sako made a few of these for both the Finnwolf and for some of their RH bolt actions. I'm not sure if they were special orders or perhaps a scarce stock item.

It's your rifle and you should do as you please with it, but in my opinion it would greatly devalue it to remove such pristine factory finish -- especially on a rare LH stock.

misako50 likes this.
  3. Proudly Libertarian

Proudly Libertarian Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Funny that as unusual as the Finnwolf is, this is the third factory lefty stock I've seen.

Just my guess, but I would imagine that a lefty would rather have a lever gun than a RH bolt gun for hunting, so they might have had a high demand for lefty stocks.

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    That's a good theory since the lever action is virtually ambidextrous to begin with. Along with a LH stock on my Finnwolf, I own a LH stock for an L61R as well as a birch one on an early L46, both of which a good friend in Europe found for me.

By the way, the Finnwolf was apparently presented to a rather colorful public figure (now long deceased) and has a facsimile of his signature engraved on the magazine. I have to assume that he was left-handed -- or maybe not as it appeared unfired when I acquired it.

I'll see if I can gather all of these LH stocks in one place in the next day or two and take a photo.

Bucktote and Unclekax like this.