• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnwolf VL63 Finnwolf .308 ammunition problems

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

baas01

I have a Finnwolf .308 great gun, but I have a big problem. When using SAKO ammunition there are no problems as soon as I fire the gun with any other ammunition the empty cartridge gets stuck in side the camber and only with the help of a ram rod I can get it out. Is this a common problem or is their something wrong with the gun?

Hi Baas and welcome -

While I'm not familiar with the extraction system of your Finnwolf, I'm sure it should handle any good quality factory ammo. I'm sure a member who uses the lever action Sako will weigh in soon. Maybe in the meantime, you could provide more info...

Besides Sako, what brands have you used ?- not military or reloads is it?

Does a loaded round chamber and extract easily?

Do fired cases that won't extract have any extractor marks on the rim?

Any chance something has got wedged under the hook of the extractor?

Is there any way for you to examine the chamber for build-up or pitting?

Have you gone back and used Sako ammo since you started having the problem to confirm?

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon. Dick

Thanks Dick,

Besides Sako, I used Winchester, PMC, Remmington and PMP.

A Loaded round does chanber and extract easily.

No extractor marks on the rim

Nothing is wedged under the hook of the extractor

Being a leaver action it is abit hard to examine the chamber for build-up.

Yes have gone back to Sako ammo and no problem.

baas01- Question-Are you using reloads or are the cartridges all factory loads? I have two Finnwolfs and haven't had a bit of trouble with them. I shoot factory and reloads. Winchester, Remington and Federal. I am now down to just Winchester Brass and my loading formula which is a bit light. (By choice)- Mike

Hi Mike,

All the cartridges are factory loads. Sako reloads also no problem with extracting them. With the Winchester Brass it shoots and unloads 3 cartridges but the 4 one won't unload.

Thanks Gideon

Hmmm.

It might be worthwhile to make some careful and precise measurements on the Sako ammo vs other mfgrs. to try to pinpoint what's different between them. It should lead to a solution. Imagine you'll have to use a micrometer, and any difference will probably show up in that 4th digit. Not many people have a blade mic, but that's what you really need. The solid case head area, and then the area just ahead of the web (about .2" forward from the extractor groove) would be areas of interest. Also, the rim dimensions may prove telling.

Being a lever action does present some challenges to inspection/correction. I'm sure you don't want to dismount the barrel.

It seems like there must be a borderline mechanical condition of the rifle that's interacting with the different ammo. Some thoughts -

Chamber dimension may be 'tight'. Sako was good about not overusing their reamers generally, but I guess there could be an exception.

Chamber build-up or pitting. Because of the difficulty of thorough chamber cleaning, I wonder if this isn't the most likely? Maybe a little excess oil or preservative left in the chamber for years sludged up a bit.

Extractor spring. Wonder if the spring could be getting a little soft? Maybe the pivot is gummed up a little, or the hook has a bit of a burr. Possibly some junk built up in the extractor cut on the barrel shank.

All just guesses here. I do think that close inspection to pinpoint what's different about the Sako ammo should lead to the root of the problem. As Mike said, your Finnwolf should function fine with any factory ammo, and any reasonable reloads.

Best of luck, Dick

Hi Dick,

Thank for all the help and insight. No signs of overpressure on the cases. I think my best move would be to take the gun to a gunsmith let him take a look at it?

Thanks

Hello from Sweden. Finnwolf .308 I tried Swe made military ammo. Same problem. Sticks.
Also have problems with precision using some hunting ammo such as Norma. Norma fmj spot on though. A picky rifle. :)

I think you’ll find any ammo that is on the ‘hot’ side will stick or have difficulty extracting. I have a DW Custer commemorative Finnwolf -serial number in the 13xxx range and it’s the same.
I reload so it was simply a case of reducing powder charge to get a milder load that extracted easily. No problems with accuracy in my wolf however -it’s unreal. I use 125 grn Nosler ballistic tips and it shoots super groups.

I think you’ll find any ammo that is on the ‘hot’ side will stick or have difficulty extracting. I have a DW Custer commemorative Finnwolf -serial number in the 13xxx range and it’s the same.
I reload so it was simply a case of reducing powder charge to get a milder load that extracted easily. No problems with accuracy in my wolf however -it’s unreal. I use 125 grn Nosler ballistic tips and it shoots super groups.

150grain at the range. Fmj. No issues whatsoever. Fantastic accuracy. I try military I still get great precision but cases stick. But just by looking at the cases I'd say the military are more *rough*. Perhaps tolerances when spitting out ammo for AKs were a bit more relaxed? I'm going to try another brand for hunting.

Make sure the chamber is clean - REALLY clean
I had a similar problem with a 270 Finnbear - the barrel was spotless but the chamber had an accumulation of crud!!!
My Finnwolf was a real so-and-so to clean the chamber.

I have a Finnwolf .308 great gun, but I have a big problem. When using SAKO ammunition there are no problems as soon as I fire the gun with any other ammunition the empty cartridge gets stuck in side the camber and only with the help of a ram rod I can get it out. Is this a common problem or is their something wrong with the gun?
I have had a problem getting any ammo other than boat tail bullets to unload if not fired, the length of modern ammo ie. Hollow point and the like is just a touch to long, I have filed the ejection port and it helped some and taking a file to each round end of the bullet is helping. It is hard to find good premium hunting ammo in a boat tail slug at least it seems to be. ?????

Back