Finnlight II?

Discussion in 'Sako 75, 85 and A7' started by SR71, Jan 12, 2019.

1. SR71

SR71 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Mexico
    Shopping around for a new .308 and am wondering if anyone has any experience with the new model Finnlight.

It's more expensive than the old model out of the box but looks to have a better stock and is cerakoted. I would replace the old model stock with a McMillan Edge and eventually have the barrelled action and bottom metal cerakoted anyway, so in the end cost would be a wash.

What I'm especially curious about is whether the new stock design is stiffer/more rigid than the old factory synthetic or is just fancied up with the new rubberized grip areas and adjustable cheek riser.

Anyone own a Finnlight II? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

2. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    I don't own one, but i know the specs. The stock is made with technique where a foam core is wrapped in a kind of a sock of glass fiber and fixed with resin. Also some carbon fiber is used in the action area. You can see the technique in action with the carbonlight stock where the carbon fiber sock is left visible under the clear resin. This makes for a very light and stiff stock, but certainly not indestructible. More stiff than the old polypropylene+glass fiber composite, by hand feel at least, but also more fragile.

3. SR71

SR71 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Mexico
    Thanks! I appreciate the info. I'll probably just go the old model/McMillan route. Or, better yet, a used 75 Finnlight or SS dropped into a McMillan. Not after the absolute lightest weight, but want a very accurate, well-balanced, reasonably light, hardcore hunting rifle.

I wouldn't mind eventually getting my hands on a nice Finnwolf as well, but I'd probably have a stroke if I scratched it up.