• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnbear L61R 375h&h

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I recently inherited a l61r in 375 h&h that was purchased new by my grandfather in 1977. I'll never sell the thing, but I'd like to learn more about it.

I'm aware that there are the Standard, Deluxe, Super Deluxe, and Mannlicher variants, but I don't know the differences between each one. I'd really appreciate any info as to which one do I have and what it might be worth these days.

Serial is 15237xx

upload_2022-6-10_7-25-1.png
Thanks everyone in advance for the knowledge

You have an L61R Deluxe sporter, commonly known as the "Finnbear". The scope mounts are factory Sako mounts that are contemporaneous with the rifle. The high, sharp Monte Carlo cheekpiece on the buttstock was somewhat unique to the very late L61R and the AIII which followed it around 1978.

The barrel will measure 24.4", and the internal magazine holds four magnum rounds. It probably hasn't been fired in a while, so BE SURE prior to shooting it that you check to make sure that the front action screw is fully (very) tight, and that the rear action screw is fully snug. Otherwise, especially with a hard-kicking caliber like the .375, the stock can be cracked at the tang.

It has a somewhat uncommon 7-digit serial number starting with "1" which Sako used for a very short time and for unknown reasons. Prior (beginning around 1973) and subsequent L61R models used a 6-digit number starting with "5" -- however, none of the serial numbers were used in chronological order, so it is often impossible to make anything more than general approximation of when a Sako was built by its serial number alone.

Latest posts

Back