Finnbear Early and Why the Long Distance to the Lands?

Discussion in 'Hand loading your Sako' started by RC20, Oct 19, 2018.

1. RC20

RC20 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    I am working on a 30-06 load up (target only) for a L61R.

We had problems with the famiy 270 and cleaning as well as long loads made that work out to the expected 1 inch MOA groups (a tad under actually.

I had read that the L61R (maybe all Sako?) had long distance to the lands. Both the early 270 and the 30-06 do.

Does anyone know the reason for that?

Recently with ELD bullets I know some mfgs in some calibers are doing that, but Sako back in 1962 (earlier?) did it and no such thing.

I do work a lot with COAL, I load long and have an RCBS I take to the range so I can move them back until I find a good spot. The 30-06 (so far) liked it further off, the 270 liked them in close.

2. kj60

kj60 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    I think thats one of the nice features of the L61's - that long magazine allowing a longer than a standard cartridge, and maximising the powder and slower powders. Works real well with heavy for caliber bullets and also the modern designs.

3. RC20

RC20 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    Interesting take on it. Good thought. Certainly had not gone there.

Still why do it as Hand loads would not be the norm for any gun, certainly of that era

Today with the ELDs I could see it (and my brother has a Rem 700 that is both a heavy barrel and long landed as it were)