Finnbear 30-06 Mannlicher Date of MFG

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by aj100x101, Oct 22, 2019.

1. aj100x101

aj100x101 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I know trying to figure out the exact date of manufacture from a serial number can make ones head hurt but I was trying to get close so I have been looking on the net for a few days. If anyone can at least tell me within a few years I would appreciate it.

L61R , Mannlicher, 30-06, #54439, looks to me it has the third lug on the rear of the bolt. Just a WAG but I was thinking late 60's?

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019

2. Paul B.

Paul B. Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Hi Tom, I believe the website offers a few different serial number authentication/lookup services that may be able to date your firearm. With that said, you could also check the underside of your barrel (via removing it from the mannlicher stock) to see if it was imported by Firearms Int'l or Garcia which, could indicate a date range. Good luck!

3. aj100x101

aj100x101 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Thanks Paul,
    I was hoping I didn't have to take the wood off. Just looking for a date range. The chart for the L61R models I did look at started with 1 in 1961 and ended with 90,xxx in 1973.
    Not much help.

4. Paul B.

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    No, not much help. If my memory is correct, all L61R mannlichers were imported under Garcia Arms which, I want to say took over from Firearms International back in the early 1970's (maybe 1972 but, someone else here on the forums will know better than I). The 3rd locking lug stuck around for a bit after Garcia Arms became the importer so, perhaps your rilfe was produced between 1971 and 1975 but, again, someone smarter than I may be able to venture a more accurate guess.

deergoose likes this.
  5. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    1971 all day. That's when Sako made the L61R Full Stock carbines, yours is an early serial number for that configuration. I'd run the serial using the service here to get the exact date. Only $10 I think.

DeerGoose

aj100x101 likes this.
  6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The Club's inspection records only run through about #48000 on the L61R's so it would not be available on this gun, but the shipping records run through 1977 and into 1978. If you want to get the shipping record (which will tell you when and to whom it was shipped, but not when it was inspected) that will take Level 2 service.

7. aj100x101

aj100x101 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Thanks for all the info.

There are three others that I've been able to figure out the dates, I think!

L579 22-250 Mannlicher with factory rings #922xx . Early 70's

L461 .222 Mag Vixen #151xxx (Stoeger) Late 70's

VL63 Finnwolf .308 #11xxx Mid 70's

All are 98% guns

8. Paul B.

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Nice! Sounds about right to me.

aj100x101 likes this.