Finnbear '06

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by [email protected], Apr 30, 2021.

1. Chow4cows@live

[email protected] Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    20201122_135809.jpg 20201122_135716.jpg Ok so I have a Sako Finnbear in 30-06. It has a nice back half of the stock(from the action back) with checkering on the pistol grip. But the forearm in front of the action is real square and blocky with no checkering. Has anyone seen this before, is this common looks like it was only 1/2 finished lol.
    Thanks in advance

deergoose and Eric Yan like this.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yes! I've seen this configuration previously. They are very scarce and were never cataloged, but a few were apparently made as one of the many variations of the Sako Model 72. That model has been discussed many times, but suffice it to say that it was introduced as a (slightly) less expensive Sako to compete with Remingtons and Savages when the exchange rate of the U.S. (and Canadian) Dollar was weak against European currencies.

There were lot of varying features of the Model 72 -- some had skipline checkering, some had iron sights, some had smooth dovetail tops, some had a bolt handle with no sweep to the rear, and on and on. But the one feature that seemed to be common to all was the two-point checkering pattern on the pistol grip (which your rifle exhibits). Virtually all Sakos had previously had a three-point checkering pattern on the grip.

Sako actually has a history of producing stocks with checking on the grip but not on the forearm. Lots of birch wood L46's, P46's and P54's exhibited this hybrid pattern.

3. Chow4cows@live

[email protected] Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Thanks, this is I believe a mod 61(?) Just learning so thanks again

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Yes, the Model 72's were built on the L61R action. The Model 72's did not replace the regular full featured "Finnbears", but were made along side them. They only made them for about two years.

Eric Yan and [email protected] like this.
  5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Sako "models" can be confusing. The "Model 72" rifles never had that designation stamped anywhere on them. They were built on all three action lengths of the time (L61R, L579, and L461), as well as the lever action VL63 (few people are aware that the "Finnwolf" also came in a "Model 72").

Similarly, there is confusion about the Sako Model 75 series. "Model 75" is found nowhere on the rifle, only the designated action lengths which are Roman Numerals I through V.

Even the model that started it all, the original L46, is frequently referred to as the "Riihimaki" because the "L46" is only found on a small stamp on top of the front dovetail flat (which is often covered by the scope mount), while the name "Riihimaki" (which is the city in which Sakos are manufactured) is stamped on the side of the receiver where most rifles will have a model designation.

Further confusing things is that Sako used names like "Finnbear", "Forester", "Vixen", "Finnwolf", "Finnscout", "Finnfire" and others for various of their rifle models and some of these names were appended to rifles with different model numbers. An example would be the "Forester" which was the name attached to mid-length action rifles built on L57, L579, and A-II actions.

If you think all of that is confusing, just wait until you dig into Sako's serial numbering "system". AAARGH!

6. Chow4cows@live

[email protected] Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Thanks I'm going to stop my head from spinning lol

7. Eric Yan

Eric Yan Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Hi, I have a very same one like yours that I bought at Great North Guns recently. The only difference is mine has front sight and open rear sight. The S/N from mine is 94884, nowhere to find any clue of her built year.

8. Eric Yan

Eric Yan Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia

Yes, this makes sense to my Sako, that has no Front Checkering and Two Points Pistol Grip Checkering, but with Iron Sights.
    I believe she belongs to the category of lower-priced L61R (or Model 72 as you mentioned), to compete with cheaper rifles. I actually like this plain setup of Sako more than Deluxe because it fits more my imagination of Finn personalities, as long as she shoots well.

Thank you so much!

9. Chow4cows@live

[email protected] Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    This is drilled for irons but I removed them to clear a 50 mm bell. So yes the same I suspect