Finding parts

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks for gunsmithing your own Sako' started by Mike VB, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Mike VB

Mike VB Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Back a few months I inquired about finding a part for my L579. I was not sure what the part was called but I posted a few pics here and eventually was told I needed a trigger over travel screw. No one knew where I could find one. I have found one and thought I would share my experience. 1) I found the email address for Sako Finland and sent an email. <info@sako.fi> After few days I got a response...Hi Mike,
    we do have the screw available (code S3341412). Please contact your local retailer / distributor and ask them to order the screw for you from us. 2) Now all I had to do was find a local retailer to order the part. No luck. I called a few places around the country that I thought would have the part or would order one but had no success. I visited and called a few gunsmiths. No luck. I considered having one made. Not comfortable. Finally 3) I decided to try calling Beretta USA. By following the phone prompts I was routed to Midwest Gun Works www.midwestgunworks.com The woman I spoke with asked me for the part number. BINGO! In stock! I was in the ordering process with her when their computer went down. That was the best thing because it moved me to go to their website where I put the number into their search engine. BAM! There it is for $10.00. Expensive little bugger but cheaper than making one. Reasonable shipping too.
    So here is my take-away. If I did not get the part number from Sako I doubt I would ever have found the screw.
    In the process of perusing the Midwest Gun Works web site I discovered several parts for older Sakos at reasonable prices. They must be parts that they are still using for new models. Because I had the part number I could match up. Hope this helps someone else.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Thanks for the update & info. I'm sure it will help someone on a similar search. Midwest is a well know site & one that Sako owners go to when looking for hard to find parts. First time I ever heard of anyone getting anything useful from calling Beretta! The trigger adjustment screws are common metric threads, so if one had the proper instruments to measure or identify them it would be a fairly simple matter to purchase screws that would work. Can't think of any reason one would have to have them "made". Did you also get the lock nut for it? Did you get your trigger working?

3. Mike VB

Mike VB Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Beretta actually connected me to MidWest via their phone system. I never spoke
    to a Beretta employee. Just punched the number for parts for old models.
    I do not have the part yet but when it arrives I will take part and gun to a smith
    for completion and adjustments. I am not a machinist but that part is not just
    a simple screw. No lock nut involved. I have another L579 and that one does
    not have a nut on the over-travel screw. I have a friend who is a machinist and
    who offered to make one for me but for $17.00 this is the better route.

4. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I made a few of these from stainless steel scews, off of eBay. I "cone shaped" one end of each screw.

As has been mentioned, there is no lock nut.......the trigger housing has a slight stake around the screw hole. I still seal the screw setting with clear fingernail polish.

Hope this helps.

5. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    If your smith could determine the diameter & pitch of the screws threads, let us know what it is. Our local Ace Hardware has about every small metric thread screw made, so next time I'm there I'll check to see if that one is available. Cutting the head off & to the right length, then putting a slot in the end is just a little Dremel tool work. If no lock nut then fingernail polish is definitely good advice!!

6. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Mike I checked my stash of parts because I thought I have both the trigger pull and backlash screws. But all I have is 1 trigger pull screw. You are looking for the backlash screw....right. I think both screws are M4's, but I would have to pull the backlash screw out of one of my rifles to know for certain. Rather not do that. What I did do is look through my metric bolt/nut kit that I got off ebay to see what size nut would screw onto my trigger pull screw. It screwed perfect into a M4 nut. I will send you a couple M4 hex head bolts ( they're about 1" long). That way you'll have enough to mess up a couple times trying to cut to length and slot them. By the way, they are black and will match the factory except where you cut them to length. And you're correct, there is no lock nut on the backlash screw. All I'll be out is a stamp, so no charge. PM me your address if you want to go that way.

7. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The standard pitch on a 4mm screw is .7mm/thread. So, unless Sako purposely made some oddball pitch, any common 4mm dia. x .7mm pitch screw will work! Going to put that in my memory banks.

8. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Well......

The ones I found were slotted set screws......perfect length.....already slotted......just had to add a cone taper to end. Worked perfectly.....looked nice......but are stainless steel.

Now......if I can only FIND the ones that were leftover. If I can, I'll post the size and length.