Film on blueing

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by HoosierHunter, Jul 17, 2019.

1. HoosierHunter

HoosierHunter Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    I have been meaning to ask this question for sometime. When cleaning the blueing on my old Sakos there seems to be a almost rust colored film that will appear on the oiled patch. Some of my guns seem to produce more than others. To the naked eye the blueing looks great so I am not too concerned about it rather curious if anyone has any input on this? Thanks

2. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    When cleaning are you referring to the use of a cleaning solvent or bore cleaner or some other caustic liquid? If so then it is possible that it is residue from that liquid if you have not fully removed that liquid residue and sealed with oil to protect the blueing. I have never found it necessary to use anything other than high grade machine oil or gun lubricating oil for cleaning and protection of the blueing while using or storing. The bore and internal parts are a different area needing more care and different methods. Moisture is a blueing's worst enemy, so it may be possible that you have the indication of light rust forming if you are not storing in an atmosphere controlled and heated storage facility. Normal humidity conditional changes can cause a rust problem in damp climate areas. Sakojim.

3. HoosierHunter

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    Thanks, I wipe down the blueing with a light coat of CLP oil before putting up. I use dehumidifier bags in safe they seem to do well. The reside or film is almost like what I found in two of my sakos that were unfired. I may try some Kroil to see if that will remove it.

4. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Possibly a residue from that particular oil that you are using. Try different types or brands of oil and check the results. Hope that is the answer rather than a rust problem. Maybe some one else has better answers. Good luck. Sakojim.

5. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    All bluing has this, even after cleaning with patches soaked with alcohol based cleaners such as GunScrubber. To get the metal clean, I use Flitz metal polish and a lint free cloth (Flitz brand)....most times it's very surprising to see all the rust colored gunk that is removed off the bluing. Once clean, then wipe down with the gun oil of your choice, then get the rifle into immediate storage since the oil attracts dust like a magnet, and accumulated dust holds moisture. If you've got oil on your bluing, chances are very high that it's NOT a rust problem.

DeerGoose

HoosierHunter and Sean Hodges like this.
  6. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Ok, you guys don't break too many ribs laughing at the comments I'm about to make ! Regarding the rust color that sometimes shows up on my cleaning cloth when cleaning my Sakos for almost 50 years, I've noticed the following. Here's a few facts about the Sakos I'm talking about. (1) My experience is with pre72 Sakos. (2) I have not owned any post72 Sakos, so I have no experience with them. (3) I've owned probably 100+ like new Sakos and maybe 25 used Sakos. For this conversation, my definition of used means that I and the person that owned the rifle before me have cared for them and wiped them down many, many times with an oily cloth. On the used Sakos, I have never noticed an orange color on my cleaning cloth. I will guess that the owner of the used Sakos before me, wiped down the exposed metal and the metal covered by the stock enough times to remove the orange film or whatever it is.

The like new Sakos are a different story. For the last 30-50 years, I wiped those down about twice a year. The first few times I cleaned them, a lot of orange color showed up on the cloth. Now, I notice very little if any orange color when I wipe them down. The barrel and action metal covered by the stock gets cleaned once every 5 or 6 years and even though the orange is decreasing, it's still there. I've purchased a few Sakos that the seller said they were like new and when I got the rifle home and took it apart to inspect and clean, the exposed metal did not leave any orange color on my rag, but the metal that was covered by the stock left a lot of orange color on the rag.

I agree with DG that the orange color is not a rust problem. I'm thinking it is a result of the bluing process.

HoosierHunter and deergoose like this.
  7. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    I agree with douglastwo. Blued steel has a lot of brownish orange gunk stuck to the surface when you take it out of the bluing bath. IIRC the stuff is iron hydroxide that is formed as a byproduct in the bluing bath. Cleaning all that off fresh is one of the easiest ways to improve the perceived deepness of the black finish.

I have also noticed some reddish brown stuff comes off my old shotguns that have been cleaned well before. I go out splashing in the lake with them. I think it is possible some iron on the surface gets oxidized without forming actual visible rust spots. Even though the blued layer is fairly chemically inert it's never a perfect seal.

8. HoosierHunter

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    thank you DeerGoose I just ordered some Flitz polish and their cloth.

deergoose likes this.
  9. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    For what it's worth, I give the metal surfaces of all my guns a coating of Renaissance Wax after cleaning them thoroughly. (I use this on the wood stocks as well.) Since it's the stuff used by museums like the Smithsonian, it would seem to be a trusted protector.

10. Tomball

Tomball Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I also use Flitz, my tube is over 40 yrs old and have more in the tube. A little goes a long ways