• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Fiberclass .257

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Spaher

Circa 1985 shortly after Sako introduced its synthetic Fiberclass as the market began seeing more of an acceptance of non-wood stocks and their accuracy from bench rest use, I was quite interested in them as field/hunting rifles. I bought a 7mm Rem Mag Fiberclass with impressive accuracy and little concern for harsh field use. During this period I was caught up with bullet velocity and”flat shooting” for whitetail and favored the 25-06, a 30-06 necked down to .25. Then I met the .257 Weatherby Magnum, a 300 H&H magnum necked down to .25. It offered about 300 fps higher than a 25-06.
I could not find a Fiberclass Sako in a 25-06 so I had a local gunsmith, Tommy Covell, build a Sako AV action in a McMillan Fiberclass stock with a 28” Douglas barrel chambered in .257 Weatherby Magnum. It shot beautifully but was not balanced and unwieldy for hunting so it was cut down to 26”. Here is a photo of my “custom” Sako Fiberclass.
Over the years I’ve come back around to enjoying the classic or vintage calibers with improved bullet availability that can do it all.
Thus, I have no need for the “new” highly promoted chamberings (6.5 prc, 7mm prc, short magnums, etc).
Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_7101.jpeg
    IMG_7101.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Nice!
My Fiberclass is a 25-06. It’s one of two composite stocked rifles I own.
It is a bit hefty for my tastes but I do hunt with it every now and then, when the weather is foul and wet. It will kill…but it’s still the most fickle patient to hand load for!
D29AD845-6814-45D1-9F18-58B52018D0BA.jpeg

Rattle canned it myself…(Better than black)

Bloo

Thus, I have no need for the “new” highly promoted chamberings (6.5 prc, 7mm prc, short magnums, etc).
Cheers.
I’m with you there Ol bud!
WV may not have the larger game choices in comparison to the Midwest or Texas (which is just Texas , like a country all to itself with exotic choices and such) 😜
But I can harvest anything I want here with these old school cartridges. .22 lr , .22hornet, .222 rem
243 win and .308 win. 25-06 rem. With the Hornet and the Tripleduece one gun will cover almost everything if you know how to shoot and when to shoot.
What sucks is..the popularity contest in the latest long range, Made for TV , Outdoor channel influenced chamberings take up all the shelf space, shoving our long standing, and now commercially obsolete cartridges aside.

(Actually, I was hoping to see you had a Fiberclass in .257 Roberts!🤞🏻)

Last edited:
One good thing about the AR and long range craze is that it cuts down the competition when a pretty Sako, Kimber, etc shows up for sale local. I prefer pretty wood but do own a few synthetic stock guns but they all have classic style stocks. This Sako V in 338 Win Mag doesn’t look or feel bad. Don’t use it since I’m a small caliber guy but couldn’t pass it up since it had a Swarovski I wanted on it.

Attachments

• IMG_6801.jpeg
    IMG_6801.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 18
Bloo, no .257 Roberts Fiberclass, but a cool "custom" .257 Roberts in a Sako action I found that I was unable to avoid the temptation. It is so different but I'm not near it for a few days and will update then. As this thread is other firearms built on Sako actions so appropriate. Cheers.

Great rifles Spaher!

I used to have 4 of those in 6,5x55SE, .30-06, 9,3x62 and .375H&H. The .30-06 was in stainless steel with factory white stock.

Still kicking myself for selling and also not buying a factory Fiberclass in .458Win!!

Stupid Stupid Stupid!!

I attach pics of them and from a 1984 catalog when Fiberclass was called Finnfiber. From 1985 it was named Fiberclass.

Jim
fiberclass.jpeg DSCN0750.jpeg thumb.jpeg

Wow!!! congratulations. Great photos and the white stock in 30-06 is truly special. I had read about the white stock but never seen one. I had also never seen another 6.5x55 or any in 9.3x62 before. I really like the Fiberclass models as have taken them on long and rough hunts with expected snow and rain in Alaska and heavy dust in Africa where they performed impeccably. Fantastic and thanks for sharing.
Here are my Fiberclass models, interestingly the .416 Rem has an unusual checkered McMillan stock but came with box labeled as a Fiberclass. IMG_8045.png
BTW Bloo, the .257 Roberts we discussed above is to the left of the Fiberclass rifles a European built mannlicher with multiple folding rear sights and the squiggly stock made it for me.

Last edited:
BTW Bloo, the .257 Roberts we discussed above is to the left of the Fiberclass rifles a European built mannlicher with multiple folding rear sights and the squiggly stock made it for me.
Yes, I was admiring that one! Stunning grain character!
That’s a commendable collection of Fiberclass rifles.
The white stocked version is seldom seen here in the US but I wonder if it is more common in Europe?
Long ago, while on the subject of Fiberclass and the likes, Bossman (L61R) posted a photo of some Tikka LSA type rifles that were bound in leather! White , Tan and Dark Brown if I recall. They were attractive rifles , but I don’t think they were popular.

Fiberclass in the field mid-to late1980’s, Alaska Aleutian Islands area with .375 H&H magnum fiberclass resting on Halley Hansen rain gear & rifle to L of spotting scope, rifle scope visible & same era in Mexico Sonoran Desert hunt with 7mm Rem mag fiberclass shouldered with Bianchi sling with Saguaros in background IMG_8685.jpeg . IMG_8684.jpeg

Last edited:
Some consider the synthetic stocks of the Fiberclass to be "butt ugly". But they also shoot "bugholes" in targets. Perhaps we should recognize the beauty of their homeliness by using the term "bugly" to describe them. Just wish I had one.

Great post! While I dont have any fiberclass sakos, I have an AII .22-250 in a MCM molded marine camo classic stock. I put my sheep killing AV 7mmRM classic in a green MCM hunter, (mainly because the orig classic stock is too nice to scarify!) and I have another Sako AV hunter MCM waiting for the day I decide to take my nib AV .338 hunting. I guess I could put my .338 carbine into that, but nah. Im still looking for an AV .25-06, so maybe it will go into the empty hunter stock some day.

Back