M75 Factory Threaded barrel?

Discussion in 'Sako 75, 85 and A7' started by Walrus, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Walrus

Walrus Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Newbie here. I'm looking at an M75 Varmint in 204 Ruger to keep my L461 company. Looks brand spanking NIB with one oddity. The end of the barrel is threaded and capped. I haven't seen any other pics of an M75 with a threaded end. Was this a factory option or would it have been done after market? I'm assuming that if it's after market work it would have a negative impact on value. Thanks for the help.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    With the rise in popularity of suppressors & other muzzle devices, being threaded may help it's value depending on the customer. Nearly all manufacturer's offer a threaded barrel model these days. 75's haven't developed a "collector" following as far as I can tell, so it's not of much consequence. I don't follow the 75 or 85 Models, but I don't recall any 75's being factory threaded. Five years ago I didn't have a single threaded barrel. Since my state has allowed suppressors, I now have six firearms with threaded barrels & 4 suppressors. Shooting suppressed is about all I do anymore. Much more pleasant!

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I've only had one experience hunting with a suppressed rifle. It was in Africa last year using the host's .270 Musgrave (a South African company now out of business, but who made a very serviceable bolt action). Even though the rifle's barrel was a full 24" and uncut, I found the extra length of the suppressor not an issue. The greatly reduced muzzle blast (and bonus of softened recoil) made shooting it a pleasure. A couple of suppressors in .22 and .30 (sound moderators, not "silencers", by any means) are on my list I'm sending to Santa Claus.