Short Actions Ever have one of those days?

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by ricksengines, Aug 22, 2021.

1. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I recently purchased two Sako L461 rifles. One was an H&R Ultra Wildcat in 17-223 and the other was a O'Brien 17 Magnum.

When the rifles arrived for transfer and I went to pick them up my transfer agent reported that the bolt on the O'Brien wouldn't close. Rather than do anything that might force the issue I put it into a hard case and set it aside until I could get around to taking a look at the little guy to see if I could figure out what the problem was with the bolt.

After removing the bolt and inspecting it I realized that someone on the seller's end tripped the bolt so it was in the discharged position, un-cocked and without a cocking tool I had several choices. One was to spend $50 and purchase a cocking tool and the other was to resort to the tried and true technique of putting the cocking mechanism on the edge of a board and while pushing down on the bolt rotate the bolt body until the bolt was re-cocked and then I could reinsert the bolt into the receiver and move on with the cleaning process.

Soooo off to the shop and wallah I got the bolt re-cocked and thought that I was home free. I was sure that the thing was fully cocked but as luck would have it the thing shifted to discharge while I was inserting it into the rear of the receiver. So back to the shop for another go at the board re-cocking technique.

This time it slipped while I was rotating the bolt and the assembly slipped into the unlock position which releases the entire firing pin assembly. At this point the firing pin has to be completely disassembled from the bolt shroud. Once I did that and reassembled the firing pin, shroud and bolt body all that was left was to set the proper depth of travel for the firing pin upon discharge and finish up the cleaning and oiling job prior to putting the rifle in the safe for secure storage.

This entire debacle took me over two hours to work through.

rick

Old Hippie and waterwolf like this.

2. Bernie’s Dad

Bernie’s Dad Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    At least you are skilled enough to do it. I would have had to spend $200 on a gunsmith!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk