Short Actions Euopean L461 ?

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by ricosheawabbit, Apr 30, 2021.

1. ricosheawabbit

ricosheawabbit Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    New member here, and loving this forum.
    Just acquired a L461 HB Vixin .222 #72,xxx. The rifle is HB with the beavertail forend. It has a Sako rear receiver sight and a hooded front sight. I have never seen a HB with a front sight. Did Sako make a European version with front sights? or could this have been a special order if they even did that.
    The rifle was original purchased new in Germany at the Rien Main air Base Rod and gun club between 1960-62, then brought back to the States when the owner rotated back. I'll send pics as soon as I figure out how. Thanks for any info you can give me on this.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Sako made a peep sight that mounted on the rear dovetail so many of the L46 heavy barrels imported to the US had fronts sights up until the mid to late 1950's, but I don't recall seeing a L461 HB imported through normal channels having one. The front sight on all rifles carried on in Europe much longer than here in the US. Sako did import many L series sporters with just the front sight, but eventually dropped that from the US market, as well. A L461 HB with a front sight is a strong indicator that it has European origins & is a "brought back" rifle, as your history confirms. Any L61R, L579, or L461 sporter with a front and rear barrel sight, especially the Ladder type, also suggests a initial delivery to Europe. Not sure of all the dates these things occurred, but as scopes came to dominate the US hunting rifle choice of sights, Sako stopped importing most of their rifles with open sights , but continued to ship to other countries for some time.

3. ricosheawabbit

ricosheawabbit Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I suspected it was made for the EU marked having been shipped directly to Germany but it was just a guess on my part. Thanks to your post I'm now sure my guess was correct andf it was made for the EU market. I'll post some pics in the next few days.
    Thanks again for all your info

4. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Just to add more data with a sample size of one: My L46 HB has a front sight; my L461 HB does not. Hardly definitive, but supports Paulson's info.

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I've seen a few HB Sakos in the L461 and L579 that had front sights and were originally imported to the U.S. However, these all appeared to be very early ones, indicating either that Sako continued the front sights on the HB's for a while after the switch from L46/L57 or that some HB's intended for European distribution made it into the lots shipped to the U.S.

Such rifles are scarce, if not rare, in the U.S., but they pop up occasionally.

By the way, there are plenty of examples of Sako sporters (both standard and deluxe) made for the European market with both front and rear open sights, but I can't recall that I've ever seen an HB model with a rear open sight.

6. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Both of my HB 57's, a 243 and 244 have front sights but my 579, a 22-250 does not. One 57 is missing the front blade and hood and that blade is hard to find.

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    That seems consistent. The .22-250 was a "late comer" as a chambering in the L579, so there would have been no "early" HB's which might have had the front sight.

8. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello Sako Lovers,
    My Sako L461 HB .222 Rem. came out of production in April 1978 { Not Marked Bofors } and has a screwed on front sight. My Sako L461 222 Rem. sporter which came out of production on 28th March 1967 { Bofors } has a soldered - on front sight. I live in England UK and all the Sako Vixens 1961 - 1979 I have seen have had soldered or screw on front sights. Plain barrel vintage Sako's are very rare in the UK.
    Blackjack

paulsonconstruction likes this.
  9. ricosheawabbit

ricosheawabbit Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    Here are the pics of what I believe to be an EU model pix302149354.jpg pix380409731.jpg pix929172579.jpg pix620461365.jpg

icebear likes this.
  10. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Look like heavy barrel jobberdo to me. Very nice. Some came with the front sight as does my .244.

rick