• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Estate Auction

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I picked two up what I consider to be bargains my self. I would have liked to 220 but the price went very high.

rick

I picked two up what I consider to be bargains my self. I would have liked to 220 but the price went very high.

rick
OK Rick, don't keep us in suspense -which ones?

I agree with Stonecreek, the 7x57 was a huge bargain. I'm glad it went to one of Stone's friends and not our "friend" in Montana who trades in Deluxes of dubious origin.

I was surprised that the 6.3x33 L46 went for $4200. I wonder if the buyer knew that wasn't an original stock? Nice looking custom, but still... The "Safari Mannlicher Deluxe" was a huge bargain at $1152. I don't know if that came out of the Sako factory or not, but even if it didn't, it's one of the coolest looking custom guns I've seen in a while. Maybe I should have bid, but I've bought a couple of expensive guns lately and I really don't have any use for a .375 except as wall art or a masochistic range toy. Other Mannlicher carbines in .222 Mag and .308 went for what I thought was fair value, 1300 and 1100 Add in the premium and shipping and that adds up to about what I'd be willing to pay. The parts lot went cheap - that .222 Mag L46 magazine alone was worth the $200 winning bid.

I decided to stay out of it, having spent quite a bit on guns in the past few weeks and having less than complete trust in the descriptions and the tiny photos. I'll be very interested to hear what other forum members have bought and what everyone thought of the prices.

Alright. I won the L57 that got its stock broken. I also won the Deluxe L579 244 barreled action. I have a Deluxe Stock for the later. It ain't perfect but it will do in a pinch. The L57 will either have the stock repaired or I'll keep an eye out for one on the boards.

rick

You could tell the 30-06's are unwanted items. They hardly brought Rem 700 prices.
Well, they are almost as common. And like 700's, I think anybody who wants one already has two. I was surprised at how much the .243's brought; they are even more in oversupply than the '06.

I also won the Deluxe L579 244 barreled action.
Rick, the bolt that matches that barreled action (lot 1110) was actually inserted in the .308 barreled action (lot 1115). You could see the .244's serial number engraved on the bolt handle. You need to make sure that the auction gets it straight and sends you the right bolt. Whoever bought lot 1115 may find themselves short a bolt?

Rick, the bolt that matches that barreled action (lot 1110) was actually inserted in the .308 barreled action (lot 1115). You could see the .244's serial number engraved on the bolt handle. You need to make sure that the auction gets it straight and sends you the right bolt. Whoever bought lot 1115 may find themselves short a bolt?

I have to agree. I think they added that correction towards the last few days of the auction. I think they also said the 308 was barrel , with trigger only. Make sure you get what you paid for.

I saw that too. Check back on the latest version of the website - the auctioneer noted that and said the bolt would be shipped with the .244 and the .308 would ship without a bolt. Hopefully whoever bought the .308 parts noticed it too.

Good to know that they noted the error. I sent the auction an email letting them about it and didn't get a reply, but if they responded by fixing the description then that's all the better.

4 of those rifles are coming to Virginia. I bought one of the .218Bees, one of the L46 .222 deluxes, the .308 full stock and one of the early L46 .222 sporters. I didn't spend as much as I did on the big Musser Bros. auction from a few years back, but didn't buy as many today as I did then. Can't wait to get my grubby hands on these rifles!

A couple of those rifles I used to own, and sold one (can't remember which one) to Mr. Pflaum directly. I once owned the .300H&H sporter and one of the .223 deluxe models. The steal of the day was the .450Rigby 90th Anniversary rifle. Those later Anniversary rifles are true works of art. They had one of the 80th Anniversary models in .375H&H at the Dallas Beretta Gallery many years ago when I was in there. I checked that rifle out and the price tag was at $20k if my memory serves. Anybody know what the MSRP is on the 90th ?

The auction company did a good job IMO. I talked to several of the employees including the owner Bob and they were always friendly. I didn't have any problems with the website today. Great sale. Congrats to all of the winning bidders!

DeerGoose

Alright. I won the L57 that got its stock broken. I also won the Deluxe L579 244 barreled action. I have a Deluxe Stock for the later. It ain't perfect but it will do in a pinch. The L57 will either have the stock repaired or I'll keep an eye out for one on the boards.

rick
That stock looks like an easy repair to me. It's not structural. Of course, you don't know until you actually have it in hand. A significant piece of wood could be missing, but at least from the photo it looks like it's all there, just needs a professional glue job to minimize the visible repair line.

I just saw something that I (and apparently most everybody else) overlooked. There were two FN-Sakos in .30-06 there, and I paid no attention because I already have quite a nice one. Well, I should have been more alert. One was ordinary. The other had a serial number of 3, and the barrel was marked Sako AB Riihimäki on top. The description noted that it was probably a prototype; I just missed it. The gun went for $600, and I can tell you it wouldn't have gone for that if I'd been more alert. Oh well, some days you screw up.
https://pifers.nextlot.com/public/sales/92529/lots/19358423

I just saw something that I (and apparently most everybody else) overlooked. There were two FN-Sakos in .30-06 there, and I paid no attention because I already have quite a nice one. Well, I should have been more alert. One was ordinary. The other had a serial number of 3, and the barrel was marked Sako AB Riihimäki on top. The description noted that it was probably a prototype; I just missed it. The gun went for $600, and I can tell you it wouldn't have gone for that if I'd been more alert. Oh well, some days you screw up.
https://pifers.nextlot.com/public/sales/92529/lots/19358423
I couldn't believe that thing slipped under everybody's radar. There were actually 3 FN Sakos in 30-06. One with the #4 trigger, one with the wing safety ( both rifles were very clean) & the one you just mentioned. They all hammered for $600 & any one of them will make a fine hunting rifle. Very unusual barrel stamping & apparently no caliber stamping on serial number 3. As all the FN Sakos I'm aware of have serial numbers in the 100,000's I'm not sure what to make of that one. The auction company presented it as a "possible prototype", but unless the factory records can tell us more, it may forever remain a mystery. That's OK too, as not knowing has it's own allure. So many people were googooing & slobbering over the rare & highly collectible stuff that many of the "regular" rifles went for very attractive prices. Only so many dollars can be at an auction like this, which opens the door of opportunity for us poor folk.

It was certainly a smorgasbord, and half ya luck you blokes for having such auctions like that.

I really liked those FN’s, particularly the supposed ‘06 prototype, and the .375h&h fullwood.

Plenty of nice L46’s, and well done on the Bee Deergoose.

The Bees and Hornets are considered to be rare and usually command premium prices. I have not looked at very many in the auction but the 32-20 and 7x33 are dogs given the botched stock jobs and condition of the metal. Problem is that they don't come up that often and in all likelihood will garner premium prices. At least on GB and GI you won't pay a buyers premium.

The L46 and L461 222s get serious attention because of their accuracy. GB or GI might be a better source.

An L461 would be my preferred configuration. Not saying the anything is wrong with the L46 because there isn't. Just my preference.

rick

32-20w ?? real, anybody sighted one of these before ?

32-20w ?? real, anybody sighted one of these before ?
I think Rick is referring to the 25-20 that is stamped with the metric designation 6.3x33mm that was in the incorrect stock. The stock thing is being way overblown as many serious collectors will have the correct stock, even if it comes from a more common less collectible rifle, that the 25-20 barreled action will plug right into.

Latest posts

Back