Estate Auction

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Bama, Jun 8, 2021.

1. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    This goes on elsewhere too, so we should watch carefully. There us a well known seller on GI that has a Deluxe. 22PPC for sale, but it is in an older Deluxe stock, not an OEM hunter deluxe. That doesn't sing. I've been bitten a time or two. Recrowned bbl; included scope and mounts being oversized and glued. Decent nicks in the stock not being divulged or shown...caveat emptor

2. RobertD

RobertD Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alabama
    I’m personally VERY interested in a few of the small caliber Rhiimaki rifles. I have a .243, .308, .270 and .30-06 and would like to round that out with one of the smaller calibers. I plan to register to bid but doubt I’ll get anything. Small, non factory discrepancies aren’t a problem for me. Utility and performance are my only requirements. Tow of my guns are safe queens (too nice and pretty for me and my careless handling) and two are just shooters. That’s really all I ought to be buying anyway.

Will someone educate me a little on the different calibers? Is there a .222 and a .222 magnum or is that a fluke in the descriptions? The BEE calibers seem to have a lot of interest and I will get outbid there I suspect. I also don’t want to get something hard to find ammo for. .22-250, .223, .22 Hornet etc, what’s the best ballistically? Will be for small game predator hunting mainly.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

3. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    The Bees and Hornets are considered to be rare and usually command premium prices. I have not looked at very many in the auction but the 32-20 and 7x33 are dogs given the botched stock jobs and condition of the metal. Problem is that they don't come up that often and in all likelihood will garner premium prices. At least on GB and GI you won't pay a buyers premium.

The L46 and L461 222s get serious attention because of their accuracy. GB or GI might be a better source.

An L461 would be my preferred configuration. Not saying the anything is wrong with the L46 because there isn't. Just my preference.

rick

4. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    And to answer your question on the 222, there are two different calibers. The 222 and the 222 Magnum. Although they can be found the magnum ammo is harder to come by. The 222 is a great little round if you limit your shots to 250-300 yards. If you are shooting at longer ranges most of the time the 22-250 or even the 223 would be a better choice.

5. RobertD

RobertD Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alabama
    Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I have an AR with a .223 Wylde barrel and have been buying some ammo for it, so one in that caliber would be convenient for sure. Be interesting to see what some of these bring. If I register to bid, I’ll make sure there are no real bargains. The set of stocks looked neat to me, as I’d love to restock my Finnbear ‘06 and my Sako III .308 has probably the ugliest black synthetic stock ever put on a gun.

I thought I also saw what was described as a .308 barrel, but the pics showed the action, bottom metal, trigger etc. looked to me like a whole gun looking for a stock to put it in. I’d really like to own that. Maybe a road trip to ND is in order next week.

6. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    There is a group of stocks in the auction. But look carefully as some have been modified for heavy barrel actions.

rick

7. CVCOBRA1

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    plus some look to have bedding compound in them also.

8. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Yepper. My advice is to stay away.

rick

9. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    rick. I hope that if some one does attend this auction they will give us an accurate description of their experience. It might be educational. Sakojim.

10. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Actually other than a personal appearance at the event there really isn't much to go on except the pics. In nearly every case I have found problems with every item that I wanted to bid on.

rick

11. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    rick. My sentiments exactly from day one when I reviewed this auction site. There are many rare and enticing items but very little verification and lousy pictures and descriptions plus a 10% buyers fee. It might be worthwhile for someone who lives close to the area for personal inspections before bidding, but the auction appears to be a costly risk for internet bidding otherwise. Sakojim.

12. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I agree entirely. I'm only bidding on a few very select items. If I win great. If not hasa es la vita.

13. CVCOBRA1

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    There are a couple of guys that are high bidders on several rifles so they must not be scared out. It looks to me like there was some stock swapping. Some rifles have studs where there should be swivels and some have swivels where there should be just studs. The 10 per cent buyers fee is cheap compared to RIA company.

14. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I'm wondering about that 7x57 Deluxe. I do not have the detailed knowledge to determine the authenticity, or lack thereof, of this unicorn. Anybody have an opinion? Considering bidding on it?

I was thinking of bidding on the parts lot with the 222 Magnum magazine and some other items, but it's already getting up there in bidding so I may not bother. My interest in this auction is fading as my suspicion of the merchandise grows.

15. CVCOBRA1

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    After seeing some of the leading bidders, I have a feeling our fellow from Montana is looking at most of the deluxe models on this sale. If Stone wants to write down some of the serial numbers I would bet they will show up again in the future.

16. Jeffy1

Jeffy1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Re: 7x57 deluxe, A lll bolt with L61r receiver.

17. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    So is it real or is it Memorex?

18. CVCOBRA1

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    An L61R with a covered bolt shroud is not unusual, I have one in a 7mm manlicher. The only thing with the 7 x 57 is that it must be a "bring back" cause I'm not sure they shipped any of them to the US. I know they were available because there is a guy on here from South Africa that has one.

19. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I know the guy who bought the 7x57 Deluxe. I judged it to be genuine, and I think he got a screaming bargain at $2600. If he hadn't gone for it I would have probably bid on it myself.

I was surprised by how much the Deluxes in small calibers like .222, .223, and .222 Magnum brought. One Deluxe (non-Bofors) .223 brought $2550. With buyer's premium and $85 handling and shipping that's just $10 short of $2,900.

deergoose likes this.
  20. tripledeuce

tripledeuce Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    WOW! $10,500 for the 220 Russian.

deergoose likes this.