• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Enlighten me! Safari model L61R?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

oneshotbandit

Hello long action Sako fans!

Came across this beautiful L61R Sako 338 Win Mag safari complete with an illuminated Leupold VX3 on Optilocks. I have been to the Sako website on the old models section and the ''safari'' stock option is there. :crazy:

How does this look? It is not priced cheaply at €2500 (equivalent to USD3400) for the complete package. It is in near mint condition.

Any idea as to how many were made of these?

Attachments

• sako safari 338.jpg
    sako safari 338.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 83
Hi,
The rifle is a Sako Safari with the A.IV action, produced in the 1980'ies. The Safari model was introduced ca 1980.

The indicated price should be a good reflection of the market level.

I would agree that this appears to be the A-IV action with its shrouded cocking piece and extended magazine. However, the receiver could very well be marked "L-61R". I've seen L61R's with the shrouded cocking piece. There was no difference in the bodies of the two actions, only in the magazine and bottom metal attached to them. Thus it is theoretically possible to have a Safari which is normally an A-IV on an L61R body.

Assuming that the price includes the very expensive Leupold scope it is within the range of asking prices on these models. Whether it is within the range of actual exchange prices is another question.

Gees! I did not mention that part...the action is marked L61R. The VXIII is in fact included in the deal as are the Optilock rings and mounts. I might skip the Sako 375 H&H (since I already own a Kodiak in 375) and go for this one.

Safari models for a safari lover are a must have in a Sako collection I think. The scope will probably end up on the little Sako Mannlicher 222 Rem!

Guys!

There were a few Safaris built on L61R actions with the open shroud bolts. Very few! And some on AIII actions or so marked. A member here has an AIII marked Safari with long tang!
Most likely it´s possible to find the usual variations as with Sako in general.

But the AIV actions differs from the other long actions, i.e L61R, AIII and AV. Those last three are basically the same.

You can´t mount a L61R action in an AIV stock for example. Nor an AIII or AV.

I don´t have the exact specifications but I compared an old AV Fiberclass stock and an AIV stock I used to have and they are not the same.
The most obvious difference is the longer distance between the holes for the stock screws on the AIV.

I´m a bad photographer but here´s some comparing pics.

Jim

DSCF1888.jpg

DSCF1889.jpg

DSCF1891.jpg

DSCF1892.jpg

DSCF1893.jpg

DSCF1894.jpg

DSCF1895.jpg

I forgot!

Go buy it! That´s a good price here in Europe!

Realized prices in Sweden is around €2000-2500 for a .375. The .338 is considerably lower as it is a not so popular caliber anymore.
A .300 is also not rated so higly even though they are scarce!

I´d say that´s a good price for that package! Looks really clean and with the scope and mounts it´s a good buy for us Europeans.

Good Luck!

Jim

Back