Engraving Patterns for the Pre 72 L61R

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by douglastwo, Nov 16, 2018.

1. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I recently got one step closer to putting together my Holy Grail of engraving patterns for the Pre 72 L61R Deluxe. I've always assumed the Pre 72 L61R was made with just 4 engraving patterns on the floorplate. Namely the common Sakolope, plus the Moose, Buffalo and Bear. If any of you know of another pattern used on the L61R, please let me know what it is. I know the patterns aren't exclusive to the 264, but I'm trying to get all 4 patterns on the 264 Mag, which makes the hunt a little harder. I've had my Sakolope and Moose for about 30 years, and I just recently acquired the Buffalo. So all I need is the Bear. My Moose and Buffalo are early 26" barrel rifles, and my Sakolope is a 24" Barrel. All are marked Bofors and have the slim stock and pencil barrel. And yes, I rigged one up (the Sakolope) with a Leupold 3.5 x 10 and hunt with it. Wish me luck in finding the Bear!

Attached Files:

2. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    you the man, D2 !!!! thanks for sharing.

DeerGoose

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Fantastic set! You don't even need ammunition to hunt with those. Just show them to a deer and he'll keel over dead as a doornail.:D

4. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Hello Douglas. Very interesting because according to my list I do have a few DLX .264 some where in the herd. I know that one is 24" and the one is 26". Don't know for sure but I think that the 26" is the one with the bear engraving. Very interesting because a friend has a 'as new' 26" with the buff engraving. I always joke that my Grizz would like to chomp on his Buffalo. Now that you have my curiosity up I will need to look when I get the time. Having also chased the .264 DLX engravings for decades, it seems to me that most of the rare ones were in the lower serial numbers and the I think my 26" is the bear with serial #275x. Anyway I am happy to know that you are close to fulfilling your dream. These things are getting scarcer all of the time. Wish I had found a good 'Buff' while they were not so rare. Happy hunting. Sakojim.

5. Paul B.

Paul B. Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Gorgeous collection!! Very cool to try and run the table with the .264 Mag. I have a Bison Deluxe myself (24" barrel 30-06) but, have never seen a Bear for sale!

6. sws1213

sws1213 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I'm green with envy! What a beautiful collection.

7. douglastwo

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks all. And yes Sakojim, I'm pretty sure I remember you posting pictures of a beautiful 26" 264 Bear plate. I remember it is in excellent condition.

8. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    I have been waiting to see if anyone has picked up on the most enviable feature of your Buffalo plate .264 Douglas and no one has yet, so I am going to stir some interest. The butte pad is original and authentic. So is the Rosewood grip cap. What is rather rare and enviable is the fact that both have white line spacers! I consider this to be a very rare and collectible feature as I have rarely seen this. Over the years I have found a few and this is one of the most sought after things that I look for. Most of the older DLX Sako rifles have either or but seldom both and when added to a rare caliber and engraving, this puts the frosting on the cake. Does any one else out there have any? Sakojim.

deergoose likes this.
  9. douglastwo

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Good eye Sakojim. When the white spacer on the butt pad is noticed on the early Deluxe L61's, I've noticed that the white spacer is usually (but not always) between the wood and the black spacer. I don't have any other Deluxe L61R with a white spacer on the butt pad. However, I do keep a copy of all photos I see showing the buttstock of early Deluxe L61's that have white and black spacers on the butt pad. Of the photos I have, almost all of the white spacers are against the wood. I've also noticed that most deluxe 461's and 579's made prior to 1961, with white spacers on the butt pad, had the white spacer between the black spacer and the rubber pad. Then it seems that beginning in 1961 and 1962 Sako produced some deluxe 461's and 579's with the white spacer between the wood and the black spacer. White spacers on the butt pad of deluxes seemed to disappear around 1963. Please don't take this as fact. It's just my observation.

FLT likes this.
  10. dustinga

dustinga Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Tardy to this party, but I just received factory records on my L61R 264 serial 6181. Inspected 15.5.64 shipped 25.5.64 to Albrecht Kind in Germany. Has the white spacer between wood and black spacer. Common sakolope, common slant rosewood tip. How in the world did this unit end up in South Georgia USA. Proud papa. Wish I knew how to post pics

Rogan Kinnear and deergoose like this.
  11. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    A lot of rifles were brought back from Europe by U.S. military personnel stationed there, especially prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968 & other restrictive legislation. Even after 1968 is was possible to bring guns back, which explains why rifles made after 68 show up here without an importer's mark.

12. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    To post a photo from your computer just click on "Upload a File" (at the bottom of the reply box) then navigate to whatever photo you wish to post and click on it. It will take a few seconds to upload, then you can choose whether to display it full size in your post or as an icon that readers can click on.

13. Louis le Grange

Louis le Grange Member

Country Flag:
    South Africa
    State/Region:
    other
    They are stunning good luck finding the bear!!

14. Steve Andrew

Steve Andrew Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    I have the Bear and Bison in 26" 264 Mag.

15. Rogan Kinnear

Rogan Kinnear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Please put the bear up when you find it!

16. Steve Andrew

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Ya happy now? Yeah i have the Bison and the Bear 26" barrels in 264 Win Mags, one has a front sight the other is blank.

Sako Bear.jpeg

17. douglastwo

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Your Bear is the engraving pattern I'm looking for. You didn' mention the moose. If you're looking for the moose, good luck finding one.

deergoose likes this.
  18. Steve Andrew

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
  19. Paul B.

Paul B. Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Excellent floorplates! I have 2 Moose and a Bison myself but, I've yet to stumble across a Bear. Excellent to see one. Thank you for posting pictures and sharing!!

deergoose likes this.
  20. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Beautiful rifles, plus all have the pre-1969 square tang floorplates.

deergoose likes this.