Ejection Issues Model 85 varmint

Discussion in 'Sako 75, 85 and A7' started by Blackadder, May 20, 2014.

1. Gary Fountain

Gary Fountain Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Update #2: I've had my Sako VLS .223 to the range four times since I changed the extractor spring and refined the extractor claw and, I'm happy to say, it's still ejecting spent cases perfectly. I am very happy with it now and my previous thoughts of selling it have passed. It is easily shooting MOA but I need to read cross winds a little better. I still haven't experimented with loads and projectile weights as I still have 55gn Hornady Varmint SP pills being pushed out of the barrel by a starting load of ADI AR2206H. My barrel has a 1 in 8 twist so I feel my current, and very pleasing, group size will only improve with a little load development.

I still 'scratch my head' wondering why Sako/Beretta couldn't have got the ejection of cases right in the first place. I know it is only a small percentage of rifles exhibiting this poor ejection trait but it seems so fixable.

sako 22 250 likes this.

2. Brock84

Brock84 Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Good to hear Gary. I must be extremely unlucky, just bought my second rifle model 75 varmint in 300 win mag. Guess what? Exactly the same problem. I thought the issue was only with the 85's.

3. Gary Fountain

Gary Fountain Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Very sorry to read that Brock84, I hope you can sort it out. I didn't realise the model 75's could suffer from ejection problems too. Perhaps you have been very unlucky. Best of luck.

4. Hawkeye269

Hawkeye269 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York

5. Hawkeye269

Hawkeye269 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Yes - agreed that this is an older thread - BUT - it is a sure bet that not all Sako 85 owners take their wonderfully accurate Sako rifles afield with full confidence. That's me for sure. Brock84 is the Sherlock Holmes in solving this ejection case. Many thanks to him for solving the problem - sharing the process - and including helpful pics. I am not capable of such a fix - can a gunsmith apply this solution with success. Updates welcome.