• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Finland Early Sako 264 Win Mag Bofors marked

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

sakorick

I own SN 5520(circa 1964?) and want to know if anyone has an idea of how many of these were made. The original hang tag SN's list amount to a total of 2 reported. I know they made a much bigger run of them in the late 60's-early70's, but I'm just interested in the Bofors rifles.

A few hundred would be my bet. They made them in 24" and 26" barrels. I've got sporters in both barrel lengths and one deluxe with the 24" barrel. I've only shot one of the sporters with factory ammo, and it shot well.

DeerGoose

A few hundred would be my bet. They made them in 24" and 26" barrels. I've got sporters in both barrel lengths and one deluxe with the 24" barrel. I've only shot one of the sporters with factory ammo, and it shot well.

DeerGoose

They didn't make any deluxe version back then did they?

It would be possible to manually count the number of .264 L61R's in the factory shipping records, but might take quite a while. However, I can assure you that there are more than "a few hundred". Curiously, the .264 was one of the more common calibers produced during the early years of the L61R.

The shipping records don't differentiate between the 24.4" and the 26" barrels, nor in the early years between the standard sporters and the Deluxe sporters. Deluxes are marked in the inspection records, but it would be a monumental task to manually and accurately sort those out. Too bad that the handwritten factory records don't lend themselves to automating.

But I'll tell you what: It's been a long time since we had a contest, so let's have a contest to see who can make the closest guess to the number of .264's shipped from 1961 through 1968 (roughly the Bofors years).

Post your guess here on this thread by 5PM (forum time) on Saturday, March 13 and the member with the closest guess gets a free Level 2 factory records search on any Sako within the parameters of the records.

Heck Stone, I just finished up my research of what I thought the number of 264's made is, and you have a contest going to guess the number. And now gunner620 has a guess approaching my estimate. My calculation is 19,999

It would be possible to manually count the number of .264 L61R's in the factory shipping records, but might take quite a while. However, I can assure you that there are more than "a few hundred". Curiously, the .264 was one of the more common calibers produced during the early years of the L61R.

The shipping records don't differentiate between the 24.4" and the 26" barrels, nor in the early years between the standard sporters and the Deluxe sporters. Deluxes are marked in the inspection records, but it would be a monumental task to manually and accurately sort those out. Too bad that the handwritten factory records don't lend themselves to automating.

But I'll tell you what: It's been a long time since we had a contest, so let's have a contest to see who can make the closest guess to the number of .264's shipped from 1961 through 1968 (roughly the Bofors years).

Post your guess here on this thread by 5PM (forum time) on Saturday, March 13 and the member with the closest guess gets a free Level 2 factory records search on any Sako within the parameters of the records.

But I don't care about the post Bofors rifles only the early ones. Thanks.

The Bofor's years ended when they lost the court case and I thought that was around 1966 or so. So what's the latest Bofors marked Sako?

I've owned Bofors marked rifles in the serial #39xxx range which for me they have always lettered as made in 1968. I've heard of 69 rifles marked Bofors but have never seen one.

Remember, we're talking about only the L61R's made in the years 1961 through 1968 (inclusive). The Bofors mark officially ended in 1968, but there were likely Bofors-marked barrels still being used in 1969 and maybe even in 1970. However, for purposes of the contest we're only talking about those listed 1961-1968 in Caliber .264.

stonecreek. I would not attempt to guess knowing the Sako serial number sequence is a maze. These are the serial numbers and shipping dates from the list of known members rifles by the original Sako collectors Club. The first Sako L61r in .264 was serial #2921, shipped 12/3/62. The last one was serial #56532, shipped 5/29/70. Serial #????? was shipped ?/??/68. This one possible but NOT probable because Sako did not always manufacture or ship sequentially numbered rifles! I hope every one understands that these numbers and dates are will not help for guessing. I did not list the serial number or shipping date for the one in 68 to avoid confusion for this guessing game.
sakorick. I have serial #2750 STD with 26" barrel. Serial #2959 DLX with 26" barrel. Serial #19848 STD with 24" barrel. Serial#49194 DLX with 24" barrel. Serial#7408 STD with 24" barrel. These possibly may all fall into that Bofors category, but I don't feel its worth looking because Sako's were not built or shipped in sequential order. I also have serial #58741 which is doubtful of being a Bofors barrel but who knows? This rifle may have reclined a corner for 3-4 years before shipping. It will be interesting to see what conclusions our members will come to on this quest. It will be very interesting for sure. Sakojim.

I have no idea how many L61R rifles were produced until 1968 so my blind stab in the dark for this contest will be 4273. I know you did a contest awhile back on the 300 H&H. Not certain if other calibers have been done but if so a suggestion would be to put the production numbers all in one post or thread on the site. As always thank you for taking the time to do the research.

Hello Sako Folk,
My friend David, purchased a Sako L461 .222 Rem. from Thomas Bland in London in 1970. The rifle was brand new, and David still owns It. Unusually the rifle has the Bofors mark, but has the push button magazine release plate. I thought that the Bofors mark went in 1968, and that the push button release catch started being used in 1969? Can anyone confirm.
Blackjack

I thought that the Bofors mark went in 1968, and that the push button release catch started being used in 1969?
Like many Sako features these two overlapped. There never seemed to be a "bright red line" when one feature stopped and another started since Sako continued to use its parts until all were exhausted even if a slightly different part had been introduced. Thus, barrels marked "Bofors Steel" continued to be used even after Sako quit marking their barrels. And "s" shaped magazine releases kept being used even after the newer release with the pushbutton was introduced. I've seen plenty of Bofors-marked barrels on rifles with pushbutton magazine releases. The same goes for open-centered crossbolt nuts, fixed sling swivels, plastic pistol grip caps, etc., all of which were phased in rather than used in a stop/start manner.

They didn't make any deluxe version back then did they?
oh yeah, Rick. They certainly did, and if you're lucky enough you may find one with the bear, bison or moose floorplate assembly !
Post your guess here
2750 is my guess. I've got #110 with 26" boom stick. Can't remember the other two.....
So what's the latest Bofors marked Sako?
We just don't know....I know of an anonymous collector that has an NIB L461 Bofors rifle made in 1971. My sample size of rifles that I own is big enough to show all what I've learned: 1) Bofors stamps on L61Rs that have push button FP release, heavy contour barrel (typical from the Garcia era), and without black plastic grip caps. I've got a .270 that has all of these traits, 2) Bofors serial numbers (as I recall) on L461 rifles into the #111,xxx range, L579 in the #79,xxx range, and L61R in the #39,xxx range (just like D2's L61Rs), 3) non-Bofors stamped rifles that DO have the black plastic grip cap (I've got two .222Mags like this), and 4) L46 and L57 rifles with and without the Bofors stamping.

Yeah, Sako really screwed us collectors up with that little "BOFORS STEEL" stamping on the side of the barrel !

Great discussion. thanks for the pics, SakoRick!
DeerGoose

Latest posts

Back