• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Early Peep Sight Identification?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

waterwolf

Can anyone identify this Sako peep sight? It is similar to the other ones that I have with the same two-position sight disc.

However it won't slip on the rear dovetail of an L46. It has no taper to its dovetail, but does have a slight taper to the head of the clamp on the bottom. The dovetail of the sight is only angled on one side, the other side is right-angled (see photo 5 and 6).

Pictures that follow show it on the far left in the line up of a few other Sako sights, a few photos of it on its own, the photo of the bottom un-tapered dovetail compared to a tapered Sako sight, close up of the dovetail slot, and also a few pictures of it installed on my M-38 .22LR.

What it is it intended for...an L42?

1778.JPG

4237.JPG

3323.JPG

5206.JPG

979.JPG

10130.JPG

6149.JPG

8103.JPG

Last edited:
Hello Robin,
You got me!? It of course appears SAKO, yet the differences from the others is obvious. The 1 and 2 instead of 100 and 200 on the diopter, the single lines instead of checkering on the diopter, the non-taper, the hole on the side and the groove? Maybe made to mount on scope bases on the old SAKO FN mauser's? Hell, I don't know. Very interesting though and look forward to finding out about it. Carl.

I think you've got it already. It has to have been made for a rimfire. I'm not aware of any center-fire Sako action with a non-tapered grooved mount. (Some .22 Hornets were built on rimfire actions). And by the way, that .22 caliber model 38 is a great rarity and a thing of beauty. I am envious beyond words.

It's the first I've ever seen, but I have to think it was made to go on the screw-on tip-off bases that came on the P72/M78 series of rimfires/Hornets. These bases are a bit of an odd size in that they are slightly narrower than the tip-off grooves found on American rimfire rifles. Some tip-off rings won't clamp down narrow enough to tighten on the Sako rails.

European and American rimfire dovetails are made to slightly different specifications, as I discovered a few months ago when I bought a CZ 455 and a set of factory CZ rings to go with it. I don't recall the exact size difference, but the specs can be found on some web sites. Since I don't currently own a model 78 Sako, I can't say for sure if the Sako conforms to European standard or not. I used to have one, and I used American-spec rings to mount the scope.

Since I don't currently own a model 78 Sako, I can't say for sure if the Sako conforms to European standard or not. I used to have one, and I used American-spec rings to mount the scope.
I recommend that people use the Millett rimfire tip-off rings on their Sako factory tip-off rails. Not only do the Milletts adjust for windage (both clamps can move in and out), but since both clamps move they will clamp firmly on a narrower rail. I did successfully mount a scope on my P72 with Leupold rimfire rings, but had to make a small metal shim to place under the single clamp so that it would tighten on the rail.

I recommend that people use the Millett rimfire tip-off rings on their Sako factory tip-off rails. Not only do the Milletts adjust for windage (both clamps can move in and out), but since both clamps move they will clamp firmly on a narrower rail. I did successfully mount a scope on my P72 with Leupold rimfire rings, but had to make a small metal shim to place under the single clamp so that it would tighten on the rail.

I have a good selection of .22 rings, Warne, Leupold, CZ, Bushnell, etc...and most seem to work fine on my Sako .22
1_2_4.JPG

Last edited:
Then until I hear otherwise, I'll assume its intended for the Sako .22LR and it will have its home on my M-38.
8103.JPG

Last edited:
Here it is on a French Gevarm .222. A fellow on Gunboards writes:
" I purchased a rifle recently that came with the exact same peep site as you have pictured.the rifle is a Gevarm brand in 222 Rem. caliber,and I immediately noticed the similarity of this site and the Sako peep. the sites are so close in style that I'm inclined to think they were made at the same manufacturer."

b891eb5f8ccbf41fe51d021d6c685774.jpg

Good Morning Sako Lovers,

I have a Mk 3 Sako Peep - Sight for sale or exchange. If any one is interested please PM me. I have recently purchased a Winchester Model 1892 { Take Down } in .25 - 20 WCF. The rifle is in very good condition and was made in 1896. It has the special order steel shot gun type butt plate, which I prefer to the crescent style, and is a round barrel, which I also prefer to the more common octagle type. The Winchester can keep my Sako L46 6, 3 X 33 R company.

I am looking for a vintage Lyman or Marples peep - sight for the Winchester. The type that screws to the rear tang behind the hammer. I do like the Lyman P S more so then the Marples and I would like one for my Winchester. Trying to find a P S in the UK is next to impossible. If any member of the SCC has one of these P S's for sale, or exchange please PM me. Thankyou.

Blackjack

Latest posts

Back