• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Early L61R 7mm REM Mag

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

gangsterofboats

I picked up this nice rifle rifle recently, it’s what appears to be an early 1960s L61R in 7mm REM Mag. It’s in incredibly nice shape, and I really like the tiger striping on the stock. I understand why people like these early rifles, the stock and slimmer profile barrel really help to keep the weight down. IMG_3179.jpeg

IMG_3180.jpeg
IMG_3181.jpeg

IMG_3182.jpeg
IMG_3183.jpeg
I set it up with a nice Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40 in the mint set of Sako period rings it came with. Fits the rifle well!

IMG_3186.jpeg

You did good. You found an early production Standard Sporter with wood better than most and good figure on both sides of the stock, the slimmer stock, a pencil barrel, "S" shaped release and square tang (I assume), grip cap, a recoil pad that is not crushed, Bofors stamped barrel, with hood and correct swivels, and in overall very good condition. And on a personal note, a 7 mag with these features is very difficult to come by. I've been collecting the Sporters for 50 years, and most 7 mags I've encountered have the push button release, round tang, heavier contour barrel with fatter stock and a crushed pad, and very seldom in such nice condition. Can you measure the barrel and let us know if the length is 24.4" or the very rare 26".

Last edited:
You did good. You found an early production Standard Sporter with wood better than most and good figure on both sides of the stock, the slimmer stock, a pencil barrel, "S" shaped release and square tang (I assume), grip cap, a recoil pad that is not crushed, Bofors stamped barrel, with hood and correct swivels, and in overall very good condition. And on a personal note, a 7 mag with these features is very difficult to come by. I've been collecting the Sporters for 50 years, and most 7 mags I've encountered have the push button release, round tang, heavier contour barrel with fatter stock and a crushed pad, and very seldom in such nice condition. Can you measure the barrel and let us know if the length is 24.4" or the very rare 26".
I second D2’s evaluation…gorgeous Timber, early attributes and excellent condition!
Should be a nice big game gun. The 7mm mag was the top choice whitetail cartridge for a while. Flat shooting and hard hitting round!
Enjoy!

oh boy! that's a classic Sako right there ! thanks for sharing. Loving the early pad on it. sometimes we lose sight of why we love these rifles to begin with, and get caught up in the chase for the rarely seen, unicorns or bigfoots that may or may not even exist ! I know because that's what I do most of the time. :rolleyes:

thanks for getting us back to earth !!!
DeerGoose

oh boy! that's a classic Sako right there ! thanks for sharing. Loving the early pad on it. sometimes we lose sight of why we love these rifles to begin with, and get caught up in the chase for the rarely seen, unicorns or bigfoots that may or may not even exist ! I know because that's what I do most of the time. :rolleyes:

thanks for getting us back to earth !!!
Deergoose
Same here..I love the look of an early Sako. Regardless of caliber, they always catch my eye.
This one is quite nice in the timber department too! Furniture like that goes really well with a custom gator sling !👍
7mag was super pop at one time..for good reason. This one should shoot great for a long way!
Enjoy..range reports are fun too!😁

Gangster, Now that you're hooked by the fun of the hunt, you're about to learn first hand just how really difficult it is to find Sakos that have an excellent condition original factory installed pad. When you do find one, you can proudly stand it upright on its butt in your gun rack. Don't have to worry about standing them on their muzzle to save what's left of the crushed pad. But a friendly word of advice. When you find those really rare small and medium action Deluxes in 7x33, hornets, 244, Bee and a few others that have a crushed pad, BUY THEM ! You won't live long enough to find them with a like new pad.

Solid response thanks. Are you happy with the leupold rings?

They were easy enough to mount up, no issues. They are a bit more versatile than the Optilock ringmounts because you don’t have to worry about the groove pin on the rear mount. In my case, I needed that flexibility to get the scope further forward for proper eye relief.

I also prefer the early Sakos for their lighter weight and more slender profiles. But doesn't it largely defeat the advantage of the more svelte rifle to place a large and heavy optic on it? Wouldn't a 40mm (or smaller) objective with a 1" tube be better suited to it?

I also prefer the early Sakos for their lighter weight and more slender profiles. But doesn't it largely defeat the advantage of the more svelte rifle to place a large and heavy optic on it? Wouldn't a 40mm (or smaller) objective with a 1" tube be better suited to it?
Stone…I think we’re gonna have to let that go.😏

In this case, no actually. This Leupold is actually lighter than the 1” 3-9x40mm Nikon I originally put on the rifle with the factory 1” ringmounts. There is no comparison in the usability of the optics, the 30mm tube with 50mm objective is much, much better in low light. Plus this one has side focus to help with parallax on any potential longer shots. It’s a great fit for the L61R.

A set of 30mm Control rings and bases would really set that outfit off!
Super clean looking and windage adjustable. If you are up to the challenge of installing them.
The Leupold rings are probably heavier than the scope is…2 more pennies for thought 😁

Last edited:
Beautiful rifle ! I am amazed how sixty year old rifles can be im such good condition. Maybe they have only been safe Queens for a great deal of their lives. Who knows. It would be interesting to know their life history. If only they could talk and tell stories about their owners and their hunting ...
Let us know how it shoots if you ever do it.

Latest posts

Back