Don't use USPS to ship firearms

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by ricksengines, May 20, 2020.

1. sakorick

sakorick Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    If you use FEDEX and don't ship overnight they won't pay damages/losses period. This applies to all firearms and it is so stated in their policy statement. I ship all expensive long guns in a hard case and boxed using UPS and USPS to Hawaii and Alaska. I shipped a correct grade HRA to Alaska USPS last month. It took 4 days and was tracked and delivered on time, Mailed in a CMP hardcase and boxed, the price was $88.00 which is not bad from Missouri to Alaska. Shipping is just not easy anymore.

2. pcunder

pcunder Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Guys, be careful what carrier you use...not just for safe handling and delivery but for LEGAL reasons.

I’m no lawyer but I can read and, unless I’m mistaken, ONLY FFLs, manufacturers, Law Enforcement and Military can legally use USPS. Feel free to verify or correct me on this.

Get the shipper’s “book”, follow their rules and know the difference between shipping rules and Federal laws. There are several different scenarios that dictate what process is to be followed. If you can navigate this properly, maybe the ATF won’t make an example of you and all you have to worry about is whether your gun makes it OK or not.

-changing ownership or repair?
    -long gun or handgun?
    -FFL to FFL or private citizen to FFL?

what I’ve found is:
    -some carriers don’t know their own rules.
    -all carriers can destroy a gun if poorly packed
    -all insurance is not equal (Read fine print)
    -if you call the ATF for advice, you won’t get it.
    -laws/rules are complex, confusing and likely designed to scare you away from shipping firearms.

Be careful out there.

Yes, buying online CAN add almost $100 more to the cost AND the anxiety over shipping is very real.

so far, only 1 broken mannlicher stock.

3. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
  4. pcunder

pcunder Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks for the link for all to read.

If SAKO members ONLY ship long guns, you may be right as rifles and shotguns are ‘mailable’ involving a non-FFL, if not shortened. You can even send 1 to yourself in another state if you want To go hunting, etc...so these Laws are much less restrictive.

But handguns ARE different and non-mailable via USPS if not an FFL or 1 of those other privileged shipping classes.

I’m giving a general warning about running afoul of the law. Once the ATF refers to your hose as a compound, it’s too late

ATF-gave me BAD advice & refused to put good advice in writing.
    FedEx-didn’t know that only certain locations take firearms. I had to figure it out.
    UPS-had to be shown in their own book their own rules so I could ship a pistol to MA (overnite bcz they can’t trust their workforce)

I’m just saying, illegally shipping an NFA firearm can put you on the wrong radar. Just be sure before shipping. It’s complicated for a novice.