• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Don't use USPS to ship firearms

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

If you use FEDEX and don't ship overnight they won't pay damages/losses period. This applies to all firearms and it is so stated in their policy statement. I ship all expensive long guns in a hard case and boxed using UPS and USPS to Hawaii and Alaska. I shipped a correct grade HRA to Alaska USPS last month. It took 4 days and was tracked and delivered on time, Mailed in a CMP hardcase and boxed, the price was $88.00 which is not bad from Missouri to Alaska. Shipping is just not easy anymore.

Guys, be careful what carrier you use...not just for safe handling and delivery but for LEGAL reasons.

I’m no lawyer but I can read and, unless I’m mistaken, ONLY FFLs, manufacturers, Law Enforcement and Military can legally use USPS. Feel free to verify or correct me on this.

Get the shipper’s “book”, follow their rules and know the difference between shipping rules and Federal laws. There are several different scenarios that dictate what process is to be followed. If you can navigate this properly, maybe the ATF won’t make an example of you and all you have to worry about is whether your gun makes it OK or not.

-changing ownership or repair?
-long gun or handgun?
-FFL to FFL or private citizen to FFL?

what I’ve found is:
-some carriers don’t know their own rules.
-all carriers can destroy a gun if poorly packed
-all insurance is not equal (Read fine print)
-if you call the ATF for advice, you won’t get it.
-laws/rules are complex, confusing and likely designed to scare you away from shipping firearms.

Be careful out there.

Yes, buying online CAN add almost $100 more to the cost AND the anxiety over shipping is very real.

so far, only 1 broken mannlicher stock.

Thanks for the link for all to read.

If SAKO members ONLY ship long guns, you may be right as rifles and shotguns are ‘mailable’ involving a non-FFL, if not shortened. You can even send 1 to yourself in another state if you want To go hunting, etc...so these Laws are much less restrictive.

But handguns ARE different and non-mailable via USPS if not an FFL or 1 of those other privileged shipping classes.

I’m giving a general warning about running afoul of the law. Once the ATF refers to your hose as a compound, it’s too late

ATF-gave me BAD advice & refused to put good advice in writing.
FedEx-didn’t know that only certain locations take firearms. I had to figure it out.
UPS-had to be shown in their own book their own rules so I could ship a pistol to MA (overnite bcz they can’t trust their workforce)

I’m just saying, illegally shipping an NFA firearm can put you on the wrong radar. Just be sure before shipping. It’s complicated for a novice.

The 2 most valuable guns I owned had stocks broken by UPS. I had just sold them in excess of their (UPS) insurance coverage, but luckily the buyers had arranged for shipping thru a dealer and had to deal with UPS. Shipped in hard cases even.
Re: FedEx, I had shipped a rifle for work to Arizona & alum case with gun disappeared. FedEx called on value & I laid it on heavy so their investigators found it at Miami airport with case stripped of identifying decals & nameplate. Case had been opened ‘ lock replaced.
Murphy s Law

There are horror stories about all of them so pick your poison. Postal people have never damage anything but a Deluxe Forester from me to Ann Arbor, MI was a delivery disaster. It sat in Ann Arbor for a week before sending it on to a destination 7 miles away. UPS delivered a Browning Safari Rifle directly to me. The barrel was sticking out of the box it made a hole in. I took it because I never wanted them to touch another "anything" I ordered. It was supposed to go to my FFL, 5 Blocks away. I had to have it recrowned. Fed X handed me a scope and a deluxe L579 stock with forklift holes that penetrated the boxes completely. Both items were untouched but only by the grace of God.

Unfortunately I shipped a bolt stop spring to a fellow member who lives probably less than 3 hours drive time from me on Sept 20 and it still hasn't arrived. Thus far USPS has not located it. In addition at least one day a week USPS does not deliver my daily mail, this has been going on for about 2 months now. SAD

Back