Does a L579 use the same size action for both .243 and .308?

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by Trout Killer, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Trout Killer

Trout Killer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    I have a never fired L579 barreled action from 1961 in .243 that has never been mounted on a stock. A guy has a factory stock from the late 60's that had a .308 chamber L579 on it he is willing to sell and ship to me. Does anyone on here know if it will fit with little to no wood work involved. Are the actions the same size? I would think the barrel might be thicker which could be re-bedded for my .243.
    Thanks in advance

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020

2. sraaw

sraaw Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    The action is the same but as you say there could be a difference in barrels between the action you have and the stock you have found. This will depend on when both were made so the stock could need additional inletting along the barrel channel or be a loose fit if the stock is from a latter version of L579 or AII variation. In addition the bottom metal might be a little different as well, as the early ones were slightly larger than the later L579 bottom metal.

Trout Killer likes this.
  3. Trout Killer

Trout Killer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Thank you SRAAW. I think I am going to take a chance on it. The stock is a late 60's L579 while my action and barrel are from 1961-62 according to my research on the serial number. My father bought it in 1962.

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The action, bottom metal, stock & barrel contour would be the same no matter the caliber except the 308 stock will have a recoil crossbolt, IF they were made in the same time frame or era. As others have said there were changes made over the years regarding bottom metal, barrel contour, & stocks that can cause issues. But IIRC, those changes did not occur between 1962 to about 1969 or 70. So, hopefully the stock will fit your barreled action. Let us know how things go. If it doesn't fit they are quite easy to sell.

5. sraaw

sraaw Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    If the price is right for the stock I'd chance it as well. Worst case being you have a stock to sell, for which there is always someone on the hunt for one.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  6. Trout Killer

Trout Killer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    "Worst case being you have a stock to sell, for which there is always someone on the hunt for one."

SRAAW, That's what I was thinking.
    The guy was asking $275 and it looked really nice. Freshly refinished and no dings. I have a semi inletted stock I bought for it from Richards Microfit stocks in Burbank, California I will need to sell if this other one works. I also have a 2 other never fired, never mounted, barreled actions my father bought back in the 50's and 60's with semi inletted stocks from Richards. One is a commercial FN mauser Belgium in .257 Roberts and the other is a Herters J9 in 30-06. The Herters has a CZ mauser style bolt action receiver made in Yugoslavia with a Herters brand barrel. My father bought it mail order from Herters in 1968 for $45.

Paulsonconstruction, Thank you for your input. Sounds like you know the firearm well. The stock does have a recoil cross bolt. Do you think that will affect the fit? I wouldn't think so if both calibers used the same action/receiver.

7. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    And it would be really neat having a Sako in .243 that Sako people would mistake for a .308 due to the cross-bolt.

Trout Killer likes this.
  8. Trout Killer

Trout Killer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    16b410,
    It'll have them all scratching their heads. LOL.

9. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Simple solution...........measure the width of the forward portion of your bottom metal. Then ask the stock seller to measure the corresponding width of the stock inletting.

Done deal.

10. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    A friend of mine bought a Sako Forester Deluxe in .243 many years ago. It was exceptionally clean with wood darker and prettier than most. It had a cross-bolt in the stock but he didn't care about that. He just figured it was a stock from a .308. He didn't care about investment loss due to alteration, he just wanted the rifle. The cross bolt location didn't look quite right so he pulled the barrelled action to investigate. Turns out the stock didn't have a cross bolt. It had the ends of cross bolts inletted into each side of the stock. Perhaps the modification was done to cover severe damage or perhaps the stock was modified for another reason. But rifles can't talk, so we will never know.

11. Trout Killer

Trout Killer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    All the measurements look to be correct, so I pulled the trigger and I am going to purchase the stock. Looks like I might have to bed the barrel channel a little bit and that is no big deal. Should be a sweet shooter when I get it all done.

12. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    That is seriously weird. I can't begin to understand the logic motivating this build, except that there is an obvious attempt to deceive or defraud a buyer on the part of the original builder. The only way to correct this mess would be to inlet the stock and install a crossbolt. And if the inletting for the fake crossbolt heads is in the wrong place, that would be an additional obstacle. The mind boggles.

13. Trout Killer

Trout Killer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    It may have started off like mine did and ended up the same way mine will. My father bought it brand new back in 1961-62 as an unmounted barreled action. I guess they sold them that way.

14. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    To my knowledge Sako offered actions only, but I was never aware of a barreled action being offered. As we say, anything is possible with Sako, but a pic of your barrel showing the stampings would help determine exactly what you have.

Trout Killer likes this.