• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Direct link to SCC Factory Records Services

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

That is what I was thinking. My serial number is: 513507 The pics are from the auction house. I posted in another thread as well. Apologies for the duplicate action.
Yours was advertised as the Sako Model 74 Super , which ran from 1974 to 1979-ish!
These rifles where the last to use the original “open” cocking piece. With the introduction of the newer “A” model “closed” or “shrouded” cocking piece, a development to contain explosive gases from potential primer failure to protect the shooter.
The M 74 is usually found with very nice timber and will shoot just as well as any Sako should. Enjoy!

Thank you for the above info. I am confused though, it is marked as a L61R but advertised as a M74? I have been doing some searching about the M74 and have already learned a great deal.
This forum has been a wealth of information and I really appreciate the responses.

Last edited:
Thank you for the above info. I am confused though, it is marked as a L61R but advertised as a M74? I have been doing some searching about the M74 and have already learned a great deal.
This forum has been a wealth of information and I really appreciate the responses.
All the long action Sakos from 1961 thru 1991 were L61R actions. Over the years they used terms like Finnbear, Model 72, Model 74, AIII, AIV & AV either as marketing terms, to delineate different cosmetic features or to denote modifications to the action. No matter what an advertisement said or how they were stamped or what was printed on the box, internally Sako always referred to them as the L61R. Peruse the section on Sako Long Actions for more details.

To add to what paulson said, here are the sako price sheets from Garcia catalogs that show a 3 year transition of modifications and the marketing terms Sako used. From 1961 to 1971, Sako sporters were either Standard Sporters or Deluxe Sporters. In 1972 Sako added the Model 72 Sporter to their lineup, thus for that year only Sako advertised 3 different Sporters (Model 72, Standard and Deluxe). Then in 1973 Sako dropped the Standard Sporter from their lineup and advertised just the Model 72 Sporter and the Deluxe Sporter. Then in 1974 Sako dropped the Model 72 Sporter and added the Model 74 Super Sporter to their lineup, thus in 74 they were advertising the Model 74 Super Sporter and the Deluxe Sporter as their only two Sporters available. It continued like this until 1978 when Sako dropped the Model 74 Super Sporter and began the A Series with a Standard and Deluxe rifle, and neither of these two were referred to as "Super Sporter or Sporter". Many other changes followed. I hope this helps a little.
1972 Catalog.jpg 1973 Catalog.jpg 1974 Catalog.jpg

Last edited:
Those price lists are amazing... In today's dollar my rifle would be $1,992.40! (If it was available, and that was wholesale price). I wonder what the dealer mark up was back in the day?
Thank you for sharing!

Latest posts

Back