Deluxe Riihimaki

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by skydancer, Jan 9, 2019.

1. skydancer

skydancer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I found a very nice Deluxe Riihimaki Forester in .243 with serial number 88XX. Because my knowledge is limited and the seller could not answer my questions, I thought I'd try here.

Are Deluxe Riihimaki's rare in general or in .243?

The underside of the barrel had a 2 digit stamp that did not match the rifle however, it did match the 2 digit hand inscribed number on the bottom of the receiver. Would this be correct?

It did not have a removable magazine however, it did have an engraved floor plate that would release from the half moon in the trigger guard. Would this be correct?

Any assistance is always appreciated.

2. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    You asked 3 questions, and the answers are YES, YES and YES.

What you are describing is an L57 Deluxe in .243, and finding a good clean one is challenging. The grip cap could have a diamond or the Forester Tree, and we are always looking for new engraving patterns on the floorplate/trigger guard assemblies.

sounds like a great find to me.....please post some pics. We love Sako rifle pictures on this forum!

DeerGoose

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Riihimaki is not a model designation. It is the town the Sako plant is located. If it is a 243 the action will be stamped L57 to designate the model. It has an internal box magazine with a hinged floorplate. The Riihimaki that you are confusing it with is the smaller action Sako, most commonly chambered in 222 Rem, that people also misname. It is the Model L46 & has a detachable box magazine. The seller hasn't a clue what he is selling & has the nomenclature wrong, but don't let him know until after you buy it. L57's are fairly scarce & even more so in the Deluxe version.

OldIronMan likes this.
  4. skydancer

skydancer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I very much appreciate the information. It does say L57 as I now know is the model number. Describing the condition of a 60+ year is difficult. It has a few scratches light scratches in the wold and blueing however, very few. The worst areas I believe are the victim of time and not wear from use. The white and black butt pad is disintegrating (are replacements available) and the bluing on the trigger guard is fully intact however, it has tuened to somewhat of a plumb color. Lastly, the hard part price. He may no nothing of the rifle but he knows his price - $1,800.00 and he's firm.
    Please let me know your opinions.

5. skydancer

skydancer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    On the butt pad I meant to say to white and black strip butt pad

6. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Deteriorated recoil pads are common on the older Sakos. It can be professionally replaced with a pad of similar appearance without a negative impact on it's value, IMHO, or if you're picky you can get a Sako reproduction pad the guy in Montana seems to have a monopoly on. The Sako repro pad will cost you about $200 installed, however. Value will vary from rifle to rifle & local to local, as well as from buyer to buyer. I was at an auction last spring where five L61R Deluxes went for $1100 to $1200. A L57 Deluxe is much scarcer so may go for more than a L61R Deluxe in similar condition. $1800 is above market value, IMHO, & from the sales I've seen, but I haven't seen or touched "this" rifle. If you feel $1800 is too much, make a standing offer you can live with & walk away. You'll find out how "firm" he is at the very least. Not knowing what one has can lead to overpricing, as well as underpricing. Just my two cents!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Deluxe L57's are scarce, but the .243 chambering is the most frequently encountered. A .308, or especially a .244, would command more.

In my opinion an L57 Deluxe in .243 might be worth $1800, but it would need to be in outstanding condition. The price a "collectible" gun commands is influenced much more by condition than a "shooter" rifle. In other words, obvious use and wear devalues a "collectible" somewhat more than a run-of-the-mill model.

8. Paul B.

Paul B. Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    I agree with Stone 100%. One factor to pay attention to is the particular floorplate/trigger guard engraving on the rifle you've found. If it's a rarer engraving, the $1,800 price tag may seem a lot more reasonable.

deergoose likes this.
  9. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    That brings up another question. What engravings were made for the L57 Deluxe????????

Paul B. likes this.
  10. skydancer

skydancer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Thanks all for your comments.
    I also agree with Stone 100% and thanks for your sage advice.
    I think I can get a picture of the floorplate/trigger guard and I will try to post it tomorrow late afternoon/evening. I was not aware that the specific engraving could have an impact on its value.

11. Paul B.

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Excellent, looking forward to finding out which engraving you have in your sites!

12. skydancer

skydancer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Didn't even have to take a picture. I found an example of the same pattern in the Deluxe floor-plate gallery on this website. Much to my surprise it also had the same plumb colored trigger guard. The only difference with the one I'm interested in and the picture is, it does not have the dents in the stock.

Because I found an example in the gallery, I assume it is a rather common floor-plate design.

Attached Files:

13. Paul B.

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    @skydancer Very nice! That's what we refer to as the "fishgods" engraving. Not super duper rare but, not common either in my opinion. My L57 Deluxe sports the "3 deer" floorplate. I've also seen L57 Deluxes with the more common "sakolope" floorplate.

@paulsonconstruction It looks like our list of L57 Deluxe engravings includes:
    - Sakolope
    - Fishgods
    - 3 Deer

I'm sure there are more engraving (possibly the 1 deer in the woods/mountains). What else have you all seen?

14. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Here's a list of engraving patterns I've run across collecting pre72 Deluxe Sporters for many years. These patterns are what I've personally seen and by no means do I think I've seen them all. I'm sure there are several I've not seen and I encourage you guys to chime in with patterns not on the list. Well I've been trying with no success to upload my list. So here's a condensed version of patterns for L61R, L57, L579, L46 and L461.

Finnbear - Sakolope, Moose, Bear, Buffalo

Forester - Sakolope, Large Sakolope, Moose, One Deer, Two Deer, Three Deer, Fish Gods, Large Oak Leaves, Birds of Prey, Stylistic Leaves

Vixen - Pine Cones, Acorns, Stylistic Diamonds

15. skydancer

skydancer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I may have discovered a deal breaker for me. This rifle had scope bases mounted to the Sako receiver bases. He said the screws only snugged to the Sako base. Unfortunately, each pad has two drilled and taped holes.
    I think I'll walk however, I would like your opinion.

16. Paul B.

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    @skydancer That sucks! If the Sako dovetails have been drilled and tapped, I personally wouldn't pony up $1,800. Just my opinion though!

17. skydancer

skydancer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I agree, thank Paul B.

18. Paul B.

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Hey @skydancer, here's a similar L57 Deluxe to the rifle you've described above. Unfortunately, the dovetails are also drilled and tapped. Looks like a penny start no reserve auction though so, beats the $1,800 asking price of the rifle you found (I'm not the seller).

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796732985

19. skydancer

skydancer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    It does look nice however, for me the drilled and tapped dovetails are a big negative. I don't understand why people go through the destructive process of of drilling holes when a relatively inexpensive alternative is available.

20. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Especially since Weaver actually makes a slide-on mount for Sako dovetails, if a previous owner wanted Weaver mounts. That's just plain stupid. And the Millett setup is basically a windage adjustable Weaver type ring with a no-drill adapter. The world is full of better options, for those with the wit to look.