1. Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim
    Dismiss Notice

DBM for Sako A7

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Quercus_alba, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Citizen Kei

Citizen Kei Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    I got this reply from Atlasworx yesterday:
    "yes we have made the short action version which is currently being tested. Should know in a week or two but I am expecting this prototype to work."

Now this would be a perfect Christmas present! If this goes into production I'm also ordering a McMillan stock right away!

2. Citizen Kei

Citizen Kei Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
  3. JThor

JThor Member

Country Flag:
    New Zealand
    State/Region:
    other

4. JThor

JThor Member

Country Flag:
    New Zealand
    State/Region:
    other
    Did you order one? If so have you had it set up in your stock yet? Would love to know how you got on.

5. JPE

JPE Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    BEWARE!!!

I just got the Atlasworx A7 short action DBM bottom plate.

to make it fit you should modify the trigger assembly.

I'll keep you posted on how they explain this, but I hope they messed up and sent me the wrong product. Although it does not look like that...

Edit: the seller has agreed for return/refund. I'm still baffeled as to how this is supposed to fit...

Edit 2: further communications indeed verify that filign down the trigger assembly by ~5mm is a requiered step by design. Guess I'll have to take the plunge and try it out.

P.S. Colin from Atlasworxs has been very calm and helpful despite my burningly dissappointed first contact. Much appreciated!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  6. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Please, when you get to it, post some photos of the fitting. I'm interested in what needs to be filed down and how much.

7. JPE

JPE Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    It's kinda hard to show in pictures, but here is something to go by:
    • Blue lines denote the area which requires shaving about 1,5mm on each side of the stock. Laborous...
    • Red circle denotes the part of trigger assembly which needs to be filed down about 5mm. Easy stuff, this part is aluminium.

So: widening the magazine well in the stock is somewhat hard, I happen to have a Boyds AT one lami stock, and I personally consider wood to be an easier medium to work with than plastic. I have a vertical mill, and ultra sharp carbide tools to shave the stock so with great care I was able to do this in about 20 minutes and achieved excellent results, if I may say so... I'm gonna venture a guess that if attempted on a plastic stock the job will be way more difficult.

The bottom metal itself is very nicely finished product, I did have to tap the magazine release mechanism pin a bit wider to make it stick in place, but other than that the plate is very high quality.

Attached Files:

8. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Thanks for the clarification. I forgot the A7 has this type of trigger with the magazine support on the front. Makes sense it might interfere.

9. Flyer

Flyer Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    other
    Hey guys, I'm really interested in this for my 6.5CM Roughtech Pro.

A couple of questions about trigger mods. Jard does a replacement trigger for the A7/85/75 with an option for no plate release – which, I'm assuming, would preclude having to shave any metal from the factory trigger?

https://jardinc.com/sako

Also, would a Tikka T3 trigger be an option? Again, no plate release and the trigger mounting hardware looks identical.

And finally, does anyone know if AICS and AW double-stacked mags are interchangeable? The A7 can be top loaded so I'm guessing it might be possible to use an AW double-stacked mag with top loading with the Atlasworxs bottom metal, but thought I'd ask here. I will drop a line to Atlasworxs as well.

10. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Can't help you on the trigger, but the A7 is notorious for the magazine dumping all the rounds at once when you cycle the bolt back. The cause is top loading the mag as this spreads the mag lips out over time. To avoid this problem I highly recommend you remove the mag when loading & slide the rounds in from front to back & avoid spreading the mag lips. Good luck with the trigger.

11. Citizen Kei

Citizen Kei Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    I also ordered the Atlasworxs DBM so the first step was to make it fit into the magazine well. I didn't have the proper tools and ended up destroying my B&C stock(I wanted to take it to the gunsmith but my friend said noooo, let's doooo itttt!:). Ended up buying a TRG-22(in a KRG stock) and selling the A7 without fitting the dbm in its original stock. I had the Roughtec Range model which was a heavy gun for the hunting applications I had in mind and not a suitable target rifle for me(I'm quite tall so I need everything custom).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  12. JPE

JPE Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    First a new (?) option for long magazines for A7:

watersrifleman dot com/sako/

I have no idea how/if they actually work though.

Then an update on my Atlasworxs bottom metal adventure: I shipped it back. I was able to fit it perfectly, as I have a vertical mill that made modifying the stock, well maybe not easy, but manageable. The problem was finding a reliably functioning magazine. Plastic ones do not work at all. Metal ones that I was able to get a hold of had a lot of feeding issues.

This is due to the A7 .308 receiver design, not the bottom plate as such.

So, no luck for me... All in all, I have to say Colin of Atlasworxs was quite helpfull through this ordeal, and I don't blame him for the functional problems. A7 is a very picky gun. I should get reimbursed for the DBM, I'll let you know how it turns out. Colin seems lika a stand up guy.

13. Flyer

Flyer Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    other
    Thanks, I haven't had that issue yet but I've only put a couple of hundred rounds through it so far.

I just spoke to Colin at Atlasworxs and he wasn't sure if an AW mag could be used, so I probably need to go to my local gunsmith to see if he has one and if I can dummy it up to see if I can top load and how it might feed.

Does anyone know if Tikka T3 and Sako A7/75/85 triggers are a direct swap (apart from the release plate)?

Apart from the mag issues, my A7 is probably the most accurate rifle I have. The alloy bedding block system in the Roughtechs really works. This is 6x shots at 100m with 143gr ELD-X over 41.8gr of 2209. And that's from a 24" sporter barrel, not the 26" heavy-barrel Range version. I know the "plain Jane" A7s don't have a good rep for stock stiffness etc, but the Roughtechs are a different beast.

IMG_2330.JPG

14. JPE

JPE Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    I'm 99% sure AW won't work. It says on their page they are "ONLY FOR ACTIONS CUT FOR AW DOUBLE STACK MAGS!", so that might be a clue...

A7 is really picky on the round placement for feeding, the round has to sit very high, and the magazine lips need to be sloped to allow the back end of the round to lift up as it is fed forward. Otherwise the back end of the round will drop under the bolt face.