Dating an M78

Discussion in 'Sako Rimfires and Small Action Rifles' started by gmkmd, Nov 10, 2020.

1. susanna

susanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    robinpeck. you left out the P46 22lr single shot rifles.
    susanna

2. waterwolf

waterwolf Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    That's the one I meant I would like to have...the single shot.

susanna likes this.
  3. cl_leg

cl_leg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    m78's;
    22lr w/box, 22lr biathlon, 22 hornet, 22lr, 22lr, 22lr, 22lr, p72 22mag
    m78s.jpg

susanna, waterwolf, FLT and 1 other person like this.
  4. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    All I can say is Wow! - especially the biathlon rifle. Those are not often seen, to say the least.

Is that a custom stock on the gun in the foreground? It's a classic style, not a Monte Carlo, and I don't see any checkering. Beautiful wood. Also some nice wood on the .22 just in front of the .22 Hornet.

5. cl_leg

cl_leg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario

the one just below the hornet does have nice wood. it came from a friend of mine who bought it new.
    the bottom one is all original. https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/sako-p72-in-22-wmr.13384/
    had a few more but had moments of weakness

6. Paul7

Paul7 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Mexico
    See my avatar. ;)

7. snaffle

snaffle Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    Although it was called the 78, I don't think that actual production started till 1979. First time I saw one was in 1983, at Leslie Edelman's in NJ, of course I bought it and still have it. For those of you who are .22 fans the name Leslie Edelman should ring a bell, the owner (other than the Warnes) of Kimber Firearms. Stoeger and Garcia were the importers.

8. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    In my collection of literature I have a Leslie Edelman catalog from 1972-73. It's a great reference for both "list" and "discounted" prices of the day.

9. snaffle

snaffle Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    I grew up in NJ. In the 60's most sporting goods stores carried firearms, even 20 miles outside of NYC . There were never many places that could be called shooting ranges so you just went out during hunting season and blasted away at whatever you chose. Half of the hunters in NJ were not hunters, they just wanted to go out and shoot. There were some fine firearms stores that catered to rimfire target shooting, PJ O'Hare and Frank Boyd. Living in CT since 1987 I have been surprised that my shooting experiences have flourished, 3 shooting ranges within 15 miles of me. I can shoot on my farm. I live in the Republican part of the state, I continue to look over my shoulder watching what our Democratic Senators are up to. Leslie Edelman started out with retail stores in New Jersey. Long Island, and PA, some of the best stocked firearms stores I have ever been in. Kittery Trading Post size. He became a distributer and ultimately gained control of Kimber.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  10. Jeeps-And-Guns

Jeeps-And-Guns Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alabama
    Not all.
    My M78 Varmint model with the heavy barrel is not drilled/tapped for sights.

cl_leg likes this.
  11. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    I’ve not dated for many years…but I must confess that I’ve had a ongoing relationship with the M78’s younger sister, P94s . Actually , I’ve been deeply involved with dozens of those Sako Gals!:D

bloo