Customize Redfield One Piece Base to Two Piece

Discussion in 'Other firearms built on Sako actions' started by douglastwo, Apr 6, 2020.

1. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Because we're still locked in, this was my project today. I cut the bridge out between the front and rear of Redfield one piece bases BS and BH for the Sako L461 small action to convert them to two piece bases. I need to put one more coat of cold blue where I made the cuts, and they'll be complete. Notice the difference where the ring attaches to the rear base. The ring is between the screw holes on the BS base, and in front of the screw holes on the BH base. I also stamped the proper code on the bases so someone doesn't mis-match them. In the next few days, I'm going to do the same to Redfield bases BL and BG for the L579 medium action. Two piece bases have always been my favorite. The converted BS base doesn't look bad on my 222.
    Redfield BS Base 1of2.JPG Redfield BS Base 2of2.JPG Redfield BS Base on Browning Sako.JPG

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Great customizing job! You both loose some unnecessary weight and open up your loading port for easier access.

I have a one-piece Redfield base on an H&R 317 that needs this treatment. With the extra low rings I first tried on it the turret housing hit the base's bridge, so I had to use higher rings. This fix would solve that problem.