1. Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: imadouch[email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim
    Dismiss Notice

Custom L579 7mm-08

Discussion in 'Members Projects' started by tilleyman, May 22, 2022.

1. tilleyman

tilleyman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Finally got my L579 back from rebarreling and reblueing... Bob de Vries of Kudu Services worked his magic and did a really great job. I wanted it to look like a factory L579 in 7mm-08, as far as I can tell they were only offered in that chambering with the later AII model.

The donor rifle presented well in the photos... it had originally been a .308 (hence the cross bolt) but had been rebarrelled in .22/250 using a second hand Sako barrel... and had a nicely figured stock.

Looked like a straight forward project, but oh what a tale of woe when the rifle finally arrived from Queensland.

The rifle had obviously been 'ridden hard and put away wet' with deep rust pitting in the trigger bow and floorplate, parts missing from the bolt guide rail and rust inside the rear of the bolt body. Cocking piece had been filed down in an attempt to reduce the sear engagement and the trigger weight spring had been cut down to lighten the release. Many of the screw heads were galled up and metal needed to be carefully peined back down and the screw reprofiled and linished.

Luckily I had a few spares in my box of Sako treasures and was able to put things right before I undertook a great deal of filing, sanding and stoning all parts of the receiver back to crisp fresh metal ready for hot blueing. Receiver guide rails were lapped, bolt is super smooth now!

Ranex Rustbuster was used to neutralise the rust, as a bonus it is a very effective blueing remover only takes a couple of minutes with an old toothbrush to bring the receiver dovetail checkering back to the white!
    https://www.bondall.com/ranex-rustbuster/

The original .22/250 barrel had the same exterior profile as a .308 factory barrel so I asked Bob to get TSE to copy the profile exactly for a drop-in fit to the stock.
    Twist in a 7mm-08 is usually 1:9.5" but TSE only offered 1"9" or 1:10" so I chose 1:9" to stabilise a little heavier bullets.
    https://www.tsengineering.com.au/services/barrels/

Mounts are Optilock 1" Low that I had spare, could possibly go Extra Low but at present the Low has good clearance between the bolt handle and scope.
    Scope is a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44mm.
    Recoil pad is a Cervellati Microcell, which I haven't used before as the Pachmayr I had on hand was slightly too small.
    https://www.exsto.it/en/accessories-for-rifles/microcell-recoil-pads/
    Stock was not touched and appears to have original finish... thankfully the amateur gunsmith who caused such carnage elsewhere left the checkering alone!

Overall I'm very happy with it... now to load up some Lapua brass and head to the range :cool:

L579-2.jpeg L579-3.jpeg L579-4.jpeg L579-10.jpeg

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    deersako, gowyo, kevinlg and 4 others like this.

2. tilleyman

tilleyman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    L579 floorplate 1.jpeg L579 floorplate 2.jpeg L579 receiver 1.jpeg L579 receiver 2.jpeg L579 receiver 3.jpeg L579 trigger bow 1.jpeg
    7E578F9C-8D9A-4343-84DA-7F51A2602430.jpeg L579 bolt 2.jpeg
    L579 Trigger bow 2.jpeg L579 trigger weight springs.jpeg Sako mount screw 1.jpeg Sako mount screw 2.jpeg

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    deersako, sraaw, misako50 and 6 others like this.
  3. CerebralDistortion

CerebralDistortion Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Smaaland
    Good job!

tilleyman likes this.
  4. Foxhunter223

Foxhunter223 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    That looks excellent. You should be more than happy with a fine rifle like that,

Pete

tilleyman likes this.