Custom Australian Sako L61r

Discussion in 'Show us all your beautiful Sakos!' started by topgear, Sep 2, 2018.

1. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Well a fair few years back I picked up a great walnut blank from Gordon Cusens in Tasmania and got him to machine it into a 'English' style stock with a drop belly style magazine/forend step and classic style English cheek piece. I was going to have a go at finishing it myself but the machined blank turned out too pretty and I was sure I wasn't going to do it justice so got Gordon to finish it instead. Today I finally took it on its first hunt but thought I'd post a few pictures of its journey to get to this point.

The blank is from NZ and looked pretty good.
    LHS
    SakoGC5.JPG
    RHS SakoGC6.JPG
    I was worried the yellower wood at the top of the butt stock wouldn't machine out but it come out pretty good and Gordon sent it back to me.
    SakoGC4.JPG
    After thinking about it for a few weeks I came to the conclusion I should get someone else to finish it, as to me it was a pretty stunning blank and rang Gordon and after a bit of a discussion we come to an agreed price and I sent it back to him along with the metal work, steel grip cap, barrel band and a piece of buffalo horn I picked up in Cambodia about 10 years ago for a forend tip. I told Gordon not to rush and a few years later I got the rifle back. Gordon did a tremendous job on it and also did a full rust re-blue of all the old and new metal work and a set of sako ringmounts. I kept the original bofors barrel on her but removed the ramp site. He certainly has a lot of talent in stock making.
    Anyway I topped it off with a swaro 3-10 and yesterday got it out into the field for its first outing. It was overcast so the photo's don't do it justice - I'll get some more on a fine day, but its a pretty impressive job. It points and shoots like a fine shotgun.
    SakoGC1.JPG
    I managed to knock over a goat for some dog food. Not much of a challenge for the .270win but it certainly got the job done in style.
    SakoGC2.JPG SakoGC3.JPG
    Anyway its good to see Australia has a few really talented custom rifle makers kicking around!

2. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Wow Topgear, that looks a million bucks !

3. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Thanks Aaron. yes i think it was worth the wait. Gordon did a fine job on the stock. I'll get a few better photos next time I'm out in better light.

4. Black wolf

Black wolf Member

Country Flag:
    England
    State/Region:
    UK Lincoln
    That’s looks perfect . An absolute stunner.

5. Branxhunter

Branxhunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Bloody fantastic Topgear. Can't wait to see some photos in the sunshine.

Yep GC knows his stuff with wood. He is pretty good at metalwork too.

Marcus

6. 6x47l

6x47l Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    I hope you can bring that rifle along in a couple of weeks